Veteran actor and director Amol Palekar on 24 August 2015 was appointed as the Chairman of India's Oscar jury by Film Federation of India (FFI). He succeeded Hriharan and Goutam Ghose as the chairman of the committee.
He will head the 17-member jury from 17 September to 24 September 2015 that will select the country's official entry in the best foreign film category of the 88th Academy Awards. The 88th Academy Awards will be held in Los Angeles on 28 February 2016.
• Amol Palekar (70) is an Indian actor and a director and producer of Hindi and Marathi cinema.
• His directorial film Paheli was chosen as India’s official entry for the Academy Awards in 2005.
• He is known for his roles in films like Rajnigandha, Chhoti Si Baat, Chitchor and Golmaal.
• He has also directed National Award-winning films like Dhyaas Parva and Quest.
• He was last seen in the Marathi film Samantar with Sharmila Tagore.
• At present he is seen on the TV show Ek Nayi Ummeed- Roshni.
In 2014, Liar’s Dice, a road drama that starred Geetanjali Thapa and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in lead roles, was selected as India’s official entry to the Best Foreign Film category of Oscars. The film failed to make it to the top five.
Indian films that made it to the top five at the Academy Awards include Mother India, Salaam Bombay! and Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Amol Palekar
When: 24 August 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.