Germany’s Angelique Kerber on 10 September 2016 defeated Karolina Pliskova by 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 to win 2016 US Open Women's Singles title.
It was Kerber's second Grand Slam singles title. With this, she became the first German to win the US Open since Steffi Graf in 1996.
On the other hand, Pliskova became the first Czech woman to make the US Open final since 1993. Also, she is the only fourth player to defeat both of the Williams sisters in the same Grand Slam tournament.
About 2016 US Open
• The 2016 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts.
• The 2016 US Open was the 136th edition of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year.
• It took place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
• Stan Wawrinka won the men's singles event.
• Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares won the men’s doubles title.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Angelique Kerber
When: 10 September 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.