Anirban Lahiri on 7 September 2015 became the first Indian golfer to qualify for a Presidents Cup. He will be part of the International Team in the 2015 championship.
The championship is scheduled to be held at Incheon in South Korea between 2 October and 4 October 2015.
Lahiri qualified for the event as he is part of the top 10 international players (excluding those eligible for the European Ryder Cup team) from the official world golf ranking as the conclusion of the 2015 Deutsche Bank Championship.
About Anirban Lahiri
• He is an Indian professional golfer and hails from Pune, Maharashtra.
• He became the second Indian golfer to make the cut at the Masters next to Jeev Milkha Singh.
• He has two European Tour wins and seven Asian Tour wins including the Malaysian Open and the Hero Indian Open in 2015.
• At present he is positioned at number 40 overall as per the official world golf ranking.
• So far, he won 11 titles in India including Haryana Open and Ahmedabad Masters.
• He received the Arjuna Award that recognizes achievement in national sports in September 2014.
About Presidents Cup
• It is a series of men's golf matches between a team representing the USA and an International Team representing the rest of the world minus Europe.
• Europe competes against the USA in a similar but considerably older event, the Ryder Cup.
• The biennial event started in 1994.
• While the 2013 event was held in Ohio, the USA, the 2015 championship will be held for the first time outside Asia at Incheon in South Korea.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Anirban Lahiri
When: 7 September 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.