Arun Jailtley handed over DRDO developed products to Indian Navy
The three Naval Systems - USHUS-II Submarine Sonar, Directing Gear for Hull Mounted Sonar Array and RLG based Inertial Navigation System for Ship Applications (INS-SA) – will boost India’s maritime security.
The Union Minister of Defence, Finance and Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley on 24 March 2017 handed over the following three naval systems to the Indian Navy at a ceremony held in New Delhi.
i. USHUS-II Submarine Sonar
ii. Directing Gear for Hull Mounted Sonar Array
iii. RLG based Inertial Navigation System for Ship Applications (INS-SA)
All these naval systems were developed indigenously by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). And, they were handed over to the Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba.
On this occasion, Arun Jaitley released two other products developed by the DRDO, namely, IP-based Secure Phone and the Gallium Nitride Technology.
Features of USHUS-II Submarine Sonar
• The state-of-the-art submarine sonar suite was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
• The USHUS-II is a highly evolved compendium of multiple sensors.
• The constituent sonars in the suite include passive sonar, active sonar, intercept sonar, obstacle avoidance sonar and underwater telephony.
Features of Directing Gear for Hull Mounted Sonar Array
• Directing Gear is an electro-mechanical system that supports the transducer array of hull-mounted ship sonar systems.
• It rotates the sonar systems at a controlled speed for in-situ acoustic calibration at harbour and sea.
Features of RLG based Inertial Navigation System for Ship Applications (INS-SA)
• The Inertial Navigation System (INS) is based on indigenous Ring Laser Gyroscopes (RLG).
• It features high speed processor, multi-constellation Sat Nav receiver, ship specific interfaces and innovative algorithms.
• It provides vital information on the ship's position coordinates and directs a ship towards its destination accurately.
Features of Secure IP Phone
• The Secure IP Phone incorporates an indigenous encryption algorithm on a trustworthy hardware platform.
• It provides a high level of secrecy for voice and data for communication of strategic and tactical plans of the armed forces.
Features of Gallium Nitride Technology
• This futuristic technology has emerged as a state-of-the-art material for MMIC applications.
• It will substantially help in the development of next generation radars, seekers and communication systems, for application in Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas.