President Ram Nath Kovind on August 23, 2018 reassigned the Finance and Corporate Affairs portfolios to Union Minister Arun Jaitley.
With this, Jaitley will now resume the charge of Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Corporate Affairs. The temporary charge of both the ministries was given to Union Minister Piyush Goyal as Jaitley had undergone a kidney transplant at AIIMS on May 14, 2018 and was recovering from it.
However, Jaitley continued in the Cabinet as a Minister without a portfolio. He was active on social media, and wrote blogs on various issues like National Register for Citizens (NRC) in Assam, the no-confidence motion in Parliament, and on the controversy over the Rafale fighter jet deal.
He first interacted with the public in two months on July 1, 2018 through video conferencing when he addressed the first anniversary of the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime.
Recently, he made his first public appearance on August 9, 2018 when he attended the Parliament to vote in the elections for the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Jaitley resumes charge at a crucial time
Jaitley takes over the portfolios at such a crucial time as the Narendra Modi government is gearing up for the 2019 General Elections.
• Arun Jaitley is currently a Rajya Sabha Member from Uttar Pradesh.
• Prior to joining politics, Jaitley was a practicing lawyer and had worked on the Bofors scandal.
• Jaitley officially joined the politics in 1991 when he became the National Executive Member of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and later became the party's spokesperson in 1999.
• He became a Member of the Rajya Sabha for the first time in 2000 from Gujarat.
• Before taking on the finance ministerial post, Jaitley was the Vice President of the BCCI from north zone.
• He had briefly served as Union Minister of Defence (2014 and 2017) and as the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting (2014-2016) in the current NDA Government.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who: Arun Jaitley
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider