Ashwani Lohani was on 23 August 2017 appointed as the Chairman of Railway Board of India. Lohani will succeed AK Mittal, who resigned as the Chairman of Railway Board following two back-to-back train accidents.
The announcement was by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet after Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu offered his resignation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi following the recent train accidents. However, his resignation was not accepted.
Mittal's resignation came hours after Delhi-bound Kaifiyat Express got derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Auraiya district early on 23 August 2017. At least 74 people were injured in the incident as nine coaches of the Kaifiyat Express got derailed after colliding with a dumper.
Earlier on 19 August 2017, 23 people were killed and 156 injured after fourteen coaches of Utkal Express got derailed near Muzzafarnagar in western Uttar Pradesh.
About Ashwani Lohani
• Prior to this appointment, Lohani was serving as the Chairman & Managing Director of Air India.
• Lohani had earlier served as the Divisional Regional Manager of Delhi.
• He also served as ITDC chairman as well as the Director of the Rail Museum in Delhi.
• Lohani scripted success story of MP Tourism and was later drafted for pulling out stressed Air India.
• He got featured in Limca Record in 2007 for having four "engineering degree equivalents" in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering from Institution of Engineers, India.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider