August Edition of FIFA World Rankings released
Argentina is followed by Belgium at No 2 (moved up 1) and the World Cup winner Germany at No 3 position (moved down 1). India with 161 points retained its 156th position in FIFA World rankings.
The August edition of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings was released on 6 August 2015. The rankings show change in top three places with Argentina remaining at No 1 position.
Argentina is followed by Belgium at No 2 (moved up 1) and the World Cup winner Germany at No 3 position (moved down 1).
The main highlight of the August edition of the FIFA rankings is that Chile for the first time entered top ten (ranked 10th) while the Netherlands moved out of top ten (ranked 12th, down 7).
India with 161 points retained its 156th position in FIFA World rankings.
- The 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup finalists have made good ground with Mexico, winner of the trophy for the ten times, moved up 14 ranks to attain 26th rank, while 2015 surprise package, Jamaica moved up 21 ranks to attain 55th rank.
- The other countries which have moved up in the rankings are: Albania (22nd), Malawi (98th), Sierra Leone (104th), Mauritania (113rd), Swaziland (132nd), Guam (146th) and Guyana (152nd).
- Teams achieving their highest-ever position: Wales (9th), Austria (14th), Slovakia (14th), Albania (22nd), Congo (43rd) and Guam (146th).
- With Cape Verde Islands and the Republic of Ireland at the joint-50th position, there are currently 51 teams in the top 50, a group that now includes Israel (47th) in place of Japan (56th) and Serbia (66th).
- Biggest move by points was made by Albania with 166 points upward.
- Biggest move by ranks made by Jamaica which saw its rank up by 21 ranks.
- Biggest drop by points was made by Germany with 185 points downward.
- Biggest drop by ranks was made by Serbia which saw its rank down by 23 ranks.
- The breakdown of teams in the top 50 per confederation: UEFA with 31 teams in top 50 still holds numero uno position; CONMEBOL and CAF have 8 teams each; CONCACAF has 3 teams and AFC has 1 team while OFC has no team in top 50.
The next FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking will be published on 3 September 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App