Avinash Chander appointed as the New chief of Defence Research Development Organiastion(DRDO)
Avinash Chander, the principal architect of India’s missile programmes on 31 May 2013 appointed DRDO chief and scientific advisor to defence minister.
Avinash Chander, the principal architect of India’s long-range missile programmes on 31 May 2013 appointed Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief and scientific advisor to defence minister.
Avinash Chander, will succeed V.K. Saraswat. He is an eminent missile scientist, who is considered the chief architect of the long-range Agni ballistic missile programme. As the Director-General of DRDO, Chander is supposed to hold the posts of Scientific Advisor to the Raksha Mantri (SA to RM); and Secretary, Defence R&D. He was also awarded with Padma Shri in 2013.
Avinash Chander is a graduate of IIT-Delhi, who joined DRDO in 1972 and obtained MS in Spatial Information Technology from JNTU, Hyderabad.
Some Important work by Avinash Chander
• He was visionary behind evolving the strategies for long-range missiles and had led the design and development of Agni-1, Agni-2, Agni-3 and Agni-4
• He led to development of the of 5000 km range Agni-V missile propelling India to join the privileged club of five advanced nations.
• Avinash Chander created the infrastructure, industry base, production lines and integration facilities to produce different classes of Agni missile systems.
• Under him, DRDO laboratories have carried out extensive research and indigenously developed the critical technologies such as composite rocket motors and re-entry carbon composite heat shield.
• He has provided expertise thrust for programmes of national importance such as underwater missiles, BrahMos cruise missiles, Nag and the Air Defence Systems.