Balu Mahendra aged 75 died in Chennai on 13 February 2014 due to cardiac arrest. Mahendra was an award winning film director and cinematographer and is now survived by his wife and son.
Some of his masterpieces are
• Azhiyatha Kolangal
• Moondram Pirai
• Sandhiyaa Raagam
• Vanna Vanna Pookal
• He graduated in cinematography as a gold medalist in 1969 from Pune Film Institute
• He did camera for the blockbuster film Shankarabharanam
• Nellu in Malayalam was his first film as a cinematographer. The film was directed by Ramu Kariat
• Kokila in Kannada language was his first film as a director
• He is native of Amirthakali near Mattakalappu in Sri Lanka
• Azhiyatha Kolangal was his first Tamil film
• He won the national award for best cinematography in 1983 for Moondram Pirai, which was the first national award in acting for Kamal Haasan
Who: Balu Mahendra
When: 13 February 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.