Microsoft Founder Bill gates assumed the role of Founder & Technology Advisor to the CEO of Microsoft on 5 February 2014. With this he stepped down from the post of Chairman of Microsoft.
In his new role, Bill Gates will help Satya Nadella, the new CEO of Microsoft, in shaping technology and product direction. He will devote more time in making Microsoft Office more interactive and building a cloud platform as examples of ways Microsoft can innovate in the future.
For years, Gates has focused on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and now that he is taking a more hands-on role at Microsoft.
Journey of Bill Gates:
• In 1975, together with his childhood friend Paul Allen, Gates developed a version of the programming language BASIC for the first microcomputer – the MITS Altair 8800.
• Gates oversaw Microsoft's company restructuring in June 1981, which re-incorporated the company in Washington State and made Gates president of Microsoft and the Chairman of the Board.
• Microsoft launched the first version of its Windows operating system on 20 November 1985, and in August, the company struck a deal with IBM to develop a separate operating system called OS/2.
• Following Gates's internal 'Internet Tidal Wave' in May 1995, Microsoft began to redefine its offerings and expand its product line into computer networking and the World Wide Web. The company released Windows 95 in August 1995.
• Gates handed over the CEO position in 2000 to Steve Ballmer an old college friend and employee of the company since 1980.
• Allen resigned after a long-term illness, while Gates became 'chief software architect' and Chairman of the Board.
• Microsoft went on to release Windows XP in 2001, followed by Windows Vista in 2007, Windows 7 in 2009 and Windows 8 in 2011.
• It entered the game console market dominated by Sony and Nintendo, launching the first Xbox in 2001, and begun to take on Apple in the smartphone market with the launch of Windows Phone in 2011, and the purchase of Nokia in 2013.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.