Cabinet approves MoU between India and Morocco on cooperation in the field of water resources
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Morocco on cooperation in the field of water resources.
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 11 October 2017 gave its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Morocco on cooperation in the field of water resources.
The main objective behind signing of the MoU is to enhance cooperation in the field of water resources development and management within the framework of their expertise and their respective legislations.
The key areas of bilateral cooperation under this MoU include:
• Conception, realisation and maintenance of the hydraulic infrastructure, notably big dams and water transfer projects.
• Integrated water resources management, conjunctive use of surface and ground water resources, enhancement of water use efficiency, resilience and adaptation to climate change, artificial recharge of aquifers, organisational, institutional and regulation aspects.
• Flood and drought management.
• Sustainable development and management of ground water resources including recharge augmentation.
• Harvesting and valuation of rainfall water and resilience and adaptation to climate.
To achieve the same, the two countries further agreed upon the following:
• Exchange of visits and missions of experts.
• Exchange of information on programs, publications, expertise and results of research in the field of water resources.
• Developing projects in domains mentioned above and developing a partnership mechanism with the socio-economic factors in the two countries.
• Ensuring reciprocal participation of experts in water related events and projects.
• Promotion of cooperation between Hydraulic Basin Agencies of the two countries with an aim of sharing the expertise on the implementation of the principles of integrated water resource management in the Hydraulic Basins.
• Setting up of a Joint Working Group (JWG) consisting of equal members from both India and Morocco to monitor the activities to be carried out in fulfillment of the MoU.
• The Working Group shall hold its annual meeting alternatively in India and Morocco. The group may also interact at any time using telephone or video conferencing.
Further, the cooperation centered on the scientific, technical and technological fields will encourage the development of bilateral relations between public and private organisations concerning water resources of both the countries.
The exchange of expertise and experiences on latest techniques would also enable both the countries to expand their knowledge and improve their skills in the field of water resources.
The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has been visualising bilateral cooperation with other countries in water resources development and management through sharing of policy and technical expertise, conducting of training courses, workshops, scientific and technical symposia, exchange of experts and study tours.
Keeping in view the ongoing India-Africa cooperation, it was decided to have an agreement with Morocco to exchange experience and expertise in water resources.