The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) on 23 February 2017 launched a mobile application for Goods and Services Tax (GST). The app will inform the taxpayers of the latest updates on GST among others.
The mobile application for GST was launched in-line to the Union Government’s Digital India Initiative. The application will provide latest updates on GST to the taxpayers.
The application will help taxpayers to access certain information related to the GST like
• Migration to GST-Approach and guidelines for migration
• Draft Law-Model GST Law, GST Compensation and Law IGST Law
• Draft Rules-Rules related to Registration, Payment, Returns, Refund and Invoice
• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on GST
• Various resources on GST like videos and articles among others
• Links related to website as well as email and helpdesk contacts
At present, the application is available for the android platforms. The iOS version of the application will be launched soon.
Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC)
CBEC is a part of the Department of Revenue under the Union Ministry of Finance. The nodal national agency is responsible for administering
• The tasks of formulation of policy concerning levy
• Collection of Customs & Central Excise duties and Service Tax
• Prevention of smuggling and administration of matters relating to Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax and Narcotics
• It is the administrative authority for its subordinate organisations, including Custom Houses, Central Excise and Service Tax Commissionerates and the Central Revenues Control Laboratory.
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
The Constitution (One Hundred and First Amendment) (GST) Act 2016 passed by both houses of the Parliament and approved by President Pranab Mukherjee is a proposed system of indirect taxation of India. It will be created by merging most of the existing taxes (central and state taxes) into a single system of taxation.
The proposed bill is being looked out by the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council who will decide the tax rate, cess and surcharges. The council being headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will comprise of state Finance Ministers.