Asian Games gold medalist Charles Borromeo on 28 April 2016 resigned from the post of head of the Tata Steel sports department.
The resignation came after the vigilance department officials of the company questioned him in connection with alleged irregularities in tender process of 4.40 crore rupees worth synthetic track laying at the JRD Tata Sports complex.
About Charles Borromeo
• Borromeo, won a gold medal of 800 m at the 1982 Asian Games held in Delhi and also a part of Indian Olympic contingent that took place at Los Angeles in 1984.
• He joined Tata Steel as sports assistant in 1979 and participated in a number of track and field meets.
• In 1982, he topped the six-nation Athletic Meet in Mumbai by winning the Inter-State Championship at Kozhikode and also won the gold at the Pakistan National Games at Peshawar.
• He won bronze medal at the Peking International Games in China and toured Germany representing the Indian athletic team.
• Tata honored him as the Best Sportsman in 1984. He also represented India at a number of track and field meets around the world, including Japan and China, where he again won gold medals.
• He was awarded the Arjuna Award in 1982 and the Padma Shri in 1984.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Charles Borromeo
When: 28 April 2016