The Chennai Metro Rail, CMRL has introduced a free bicycle ride scheme for its customers. The metro corporation has tied up with a private agency to provide 100-hours of bicycle ride free of cost every month.
Speaking on the development, the CMRL said that the initiative is an effort towards providing last-mile connectivity service to passengers in order to help promote eco-friendly travel in the city. The move is expected to reduce dependence on private vehicles and provide a more economical option to the travellers.
Registration & Fee
• No registration fee or charge has to be paid for renting the bicycles.
• The users can avail 100 hours of free ride under the condition that the cycle is returned within 24 hours.
• There are 10 cycles in each of the stations and people can gain access to them at any time of the day.
How to rent the bicycles?
• All one needs to do to rent a cycle is to send an SMS and they will be shared with a number. This number can then be used to unlock the bicycle.
• The cycles would be kept locked using a software-based locking system.
• In case of any problem with the cycle during the ride, the ground staff will be attending to it.
• A strong network of mechanics is set up so that the users can leave the bicycle at the spot where the staff would rush to resolve the issue.
Who can avail this service?
• There is no kind of restriction imposed so far.
• Anybody can use this service including those who don’t access the train facility.
• At times when there is low supply of cycles, an alert will be sent through the software and staff would do top-up.
The Chennai Metro Rail Limited implemented the scheme after observing the success of bicycle clubs in Trivandrum, Kochi, Infopark and Technopark in Kerala. Presently, the scheme is on floors at four metro stations in the city including Ekkattuthangal, Nehru Park, Thirumangalam and Anna Nagar Tower.
The only con of the eco-friendly service is the non-availability of any security of tracking system, as it raises the chances of the bicycles getting stolen. However, once the pilot project becomes a success, the facility will be spread in the other areas as well.
Who: Chennai Metro Rail
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.