Chennai Smashers on 14 January 2017 emerged victorious over Mumbai Rockets by 4-3 in the summit clash to clinch the 2017 Premier Badminton League (PBL) title.
Chennai Smashers’ T Saensomboonsuk produced a come-from-behind win against Mumbai Rockets’ Ajay Jayaram in the deciding fifth rubber as the former edged out the latter in the final to grab the PBL season 2 title.
The match was played at Siri Fort Complex in New Delhi.
Awadhe Warriors, Chennai Smashers, Hyderabad Hunters and Mumbai Rockets had entered the semi-finals after topping the league table.
About Premier Badminton League
• Premier Badminton League is a franchise league.
• It is managed and commercially owned by the Badminton Association of India.
• It was founded in 2013.
• It was earlier named as Indian Badminton League (IBL).
• Later, it was rechristened to Premier Badminton League before the start of the second season in 2016.
• The tournament aims at bringing top Indian players along with International players on the same platform.
• The tournament consists of 15 league ties, where in each tie comprises 5 matches. The top four teams then progress to the knock out stages.
• The inaugural Indian Badminton League title was won by Hyderabad Hotshots.
• The 2016 season was won by Delhi Acers.
• Sachin Tendulkar became a co-owner of Bengaluru Topguns before the 2017 season. The team was then renamed as Bengaluru Blasters.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.