Bhupesh Baghel launches Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana of Rs. 5,700 crore
As per the Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel, Chhattisgarh will be the first state in the country to purchase maize, paddy, and sugarcane at MSP and will also be giving incentives to the farmers under the scheme.
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on May 21 launched Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana of Rs. 5,700 crore. This day marks the 29th anniversary of the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
The scheme launched by the Chhattisgarh government aims at stimulating the rural economy of the state which has been affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The provision for the scheme had been made by the state in the budget 2020-21.
The event took place through video conferencing and Congress President Sonia Gandhi and party leader Rahul Gandhi were among the others who took part in the event.
Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana: Key Highlights
• As per the officials, under the scheme, the state government has been planning of injecting Rs. 5,700 crore into the rural economy of the state.
• As per the Chief Minister, Chhattisgarh is the first state in the country to purchase maize, paddy, and sugarcane at MSP and will also be giving incentives to the farmers under the scheme.
• Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana will benefit over 1.87 million farmers in the state.
• Under the scheme, the government has directly transferred the grant amount of Rs. 1500 crore through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) into the accounts of the farmers on May 21, 2020.
• The government will provide Rs. 10,000 per acre to the paddy and maize growing farmers and Rs. 13,000 per acre to the sugarcane farmers.
• 19 lakh sugarcane/paddy/maize farmers will be given the amount of Rs. 5,700 crore, in the year 2020-21.
• Chhattisgarh state government has also been planning on providing a fixed amount per acre based on the notified and registered areas for oilseeds crops and pulses.
Request to include agriculture works under MNREGA:
While discussing the upcoming scheme, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel informed that Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana is afar sighted decision and the scheme will be a boon for the farmers of the state.
The Chief Minister also mentioned that no other state has taken such steps in the interest of the farmers.
Chhattisgarh CM also informed that the state has requested the centre to include agriculture works under MNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) as the work will be continued till the rainy season.
He further explained that if the activities will be under MNREGA, it will help in people getting continuous employment, it will lead to the rise in agricultural production, and input costs will fall.