Indian men’s football team captain Sunil Chhetri and striker Bala Devi on 13 February 2015 were awarded with the All India Football Federations (AIFF) 2014 Player of the Year trophy in men and women category, respectively.
Others to be honoured with AIFF awards, include
• 2014 Player of the year (Men): Sunil Chhetri
• 2014 Player of the year (Women): Bala Devi
• 2014 Emerging Player of the Year: Sandesh Jhingan
• 2014 Best Referee: Santosh Kumar
• 2014 Best Assistant Referee: Sappam Kennedy
• Best Grassroots Programme: Western India Football Association (WIFA)
• Long Time Contribution to Indian Football: Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
Chhetri was voted as the winner by I-League coaches and this was the fourth time that he received the award. Earlier, he was named as the Player of the Year in 2007, 2011 and 2013. With the fourth title, he surpassed the legendary Inivalappil Mani Vijayan who won the award thrice.
Devi was recognised with the award for scoring 47 goals, including 18 in international matches in 2014. Her teammate Oinam Bembem Devi won it on the last two occasions.
Besides a trophy, Chhetri also pocketed 2 lakh rupees, while Devi received a cash prize of 1 lakh rupees. On the other hand, Jhingan who played for the Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League received a cash prize of 75000 rupees.
When: 13 February 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.