The Cell for IPR Promotions and Management (CIPAM) on 4 September 2017 launched a social media campaign to promote Indian Geographical Indications (GIs).
The CIPAM comes under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
The campaign will be promoted with #LetsTalkIP which is an ongoing movement initiated by CIPAM to make more people aware about the importance of Intellectual Property Rights.
The promotion of GIs is in line with the Government’s ‘Make in India’ campaign.
Importance of Indian Geographical Indications
• A Geographical Indication is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
• Such signs convey an assurance of quality and distinctiveness, which is essentially attributable to its origin in that defined geographical locality. Darjeeling Tea, Mahabaleshwar Strawberry, Blue Pottery of Jaipur, Banarasi Sarees and Tirupati Laddus are some of the GIs.
• GIs are of utmost importance to the country as they are an integral part of India’s rich culture and collective intellectual heritage.
• It is an area of strength and optimism for India, whereby the GI tag has accorded protection to a number of hand-made and manufactured products, especially in the informal sector.
• Certain GI products can benefit the rural economy in remote areas, by supplementing the incomes of artisans, farmers, weavers and craftsmen.
When: 4 September 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.