Congress party secured chairmanship of five DRSCs of the Parliament
Five leaders of Congress Party secured the chairmanship of five Parliamentary Standing Committees.
In a major boost to Indian National Congress party, five of its members secured the chairmanship of Department Related Standing Committees (DRSCs) of the Parliament.
These DRSCs are: Finance, External Affairs, Home Affairs, Science & Technology and Law & Personnel
• The Committee on Finance will be headed by former Chairman of Administrative Reforms Commission (ARC) M Veerappa Moily.
• The Committee on External Affairs will be headed by Shashi Tharoor.
• The Committee on Home Affairs will be headed by P Bhattacharya.
• The Committee on Science & Technology will be headed by former Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
• The Committee on Law & Personnel will be headed by E.M. Sudarsana Natchiappan.
BJP leaders who have got the chairmanship of DRSCs
• Committee on Commerce: Chandan Mitra
• Committee on Agriculture: Hukum Deo Narayan Yadav
• Committee on Labour: Virendra Kumar
• Committee on Petroleum: Prahlad Joshi
• Committee on Water Resources: Hukum Singh
• Committee on Coal: Hansraj Ahir
• Committee on Social Justice: Ramesh Bais
• Committee on Energy: Rajiv Pratap Rudy
• Committee on Defence: Former General B C Khanduri
• Committee on HRD & Sports: J P Nadda
• Committee on Information Technology: Anurag Thakur
Other Non-BJP leaders who got the chairmanship of DRSCs
• Committee on Transport: K D Singh (Trinamool Congress)
• Committee on Railways: Dinesh Trivedi (Trinamool Congress)
• Committee on Urban Development: Pinaki Mishra (Biju Janata Dal)
• Committee on Rural Development: P Venugopal (AIADMK)
• Committee on Health: Satish Chandra Misra (Bahujan Samaj Party)
• Committee on Commerce & Industry: K C Tyagi (Janata Dal – United)
• Committee on Chemical & Fertiliser: Anandrao Adsul (Shiv Sena)
• Committee on Food & Consumer Affairs: J C Divakar Reddy (Telugu Desam Party)
Chairman of Finance Committees
• Committee on Estimates: Murli Manohar Joshi (BJP)
• Committee on Public sector Undertakings: Shanta Kumar (BJP)
• Public Accounts Committee: K V Thomas (Congress)
About Parliamentary Standing Committees
Parliamentary Standing committees are committees consisting of Members of Parliament. These Committees are permanent and regular committee which are constituted from time to time according to the provisions of an Act of Parliament or Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business.
The work done by the Indian Parliament is not only voluminous but also of a complex nature, hence a good deal of its work is carried out in these Parliamentary Committees.
The Financial Committees, Department Related Standing Committees (DRSCs) and some other Committees come under the category of Standing Committees. As of August 2012, there are 24 DRSCs. Out of 24 Committees, 8 Committees are serviced by the Rajya Sabha Secretariat and 16 Committees by the Lok Sabha Secretariat.