Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo has won the esteemed 2016 Ballon d'Or award. The decision was announced by France Football magazine in Ballon d'Or ceremony on 12 December 2016.
This is Ronaldo’s fourth Ballon d'Or award. He won his first award in 2008, the same year in which he won the FIFA World Player of the Year. He subsequently won the 2013 and 2014 honours as well. In 2015, he was beaten by Argentina’s Lionel Messi.
• The voting was done by 200 respected football journalists from across the world, each of whom picked their top 3 from the 30 short-listed names.
• Ronaldo won by a good margin. Messi came second followed by France’s Antoine Griezmann in the third position. Luis Suarez and Neymar also made it into the top 5.
• This is the third major honour for the footballer this year, as his club, Real Madrid won the UEFA Champions League 2016 and his national team Portugal won the UEFA Euro 2016.
• He scored over 60 goals in a marathon season and his club finished just 1 point behind Barcelona.
• This was the 9th year in a row that either Messi or Ronaldo won the prestigious honour. The last player to win the award before their domination began was Kaka in 2007.
About the Ballon d'Or Award
• It is an annual association football award presented by France Football, a French magazine.
• The award honours a male player, who has performed the best over the previous year.
• The voting is done by football journalists from across the world.
• The Ballon d'Or award was merged with the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2010 and was considered the most prestigious individual honour in world football.
• Messi won both the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or as well as the final one in 2015, after which FIFA and France Football parted ways.
• The award was re-introduced in 2016 by France Football in its original format and FIFA introduced ‘The Best FIFA Football Awards’.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.