Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo on 12 January 2015 won the 2014 FIFA Ballon d’Or award for the best footballer of the year in the world. It is the third time that Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'Or award following the previous triumphs in the years 2008 and 2013.
Ronaldo defeated Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer by bagging 37.66 percent of votes.
Lionel Messi was at the second position with 15.76 votes and Manuel Neuer stood at the third place with 15.72 percent votes.
181 national team coaches, 182 national team captains and 181 media representatives submitted their votes for the FIFA Ballon d’Or award. The entire electoral procedure was overseen and monitored by PricewaterhouseCoopers Switzerland (PwC).
1. Nadine Kessler won the FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year award 2014.
2. Joachim Low won the FIFA World Coach of the Year 2014 for Men’s Football award.
3. Ralf Kellermann won the FIFA World Coach of the Year 2014 for Women’s Football award.
4. James Rodriguez won the FIFA Puskas Award for the best goal of the year.
5. FIFA Team of the Year 2014: FIFPro World XI includes Manuel Neuer, David Luiz, Philipp Lahm, Sergio Ramos and Thiago Silva in defence; Angel Di Maria, Andres Iniesta and Toni Kroos in midfield and Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Arjen Robben in attack.
FIFA Ballon d'Or Award
• The FIFA Ballon d'Or award is an annual association football award given by FIFA to the male player who has performed the best in the previous calendar year.
• It is awarded based on the votes from national team coaches and captains, as well as journalists from around the world.
• The award began in 2010 after France Football's Ballon d'Or and the men's FIFA World Player of the Year award were merged.
• The winner of the 2010 FIFA Ballon d'Or was Lionel Messi who then won the title for the following two years 2011 and 2012.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.