Current Affairs in Short: 01 July 2019
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the reappointment of NS Vishwanathan as Deputy Governor of RBI for a period of one year.
NS Vishwanathan reappointed as Deputy Governor of RBI for 1 year
• The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the reappointment of NS Vishwanathan as Deputy Governor of RBI for a period of one year from July 4, 2019.
• NS Vishwanathan's term as Deputy Governor was supposed to end on July 3, 2019. Earlier, RBI Deputy Governor Viral Acharya resigned citing personal circumstances.
• Vishwanathan, the senior most among the deputy governors is one of the insiders along with B P Kanungo.
Nagaland to begin its variant of NRC from July 10
• Nagaland’s Home Commissioner R. Ramakrishnan issued a notification for setting up of the Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN) aimed at preparing a master list of all indigenous peoples and checking the issuance of fake indigenous inhabitant certificates.
• Designated teams would fan out to cover each village and urban ward from July 10, less than a month before Assam is scheduled to publish the final NRC.
• Each family member will be listed in the village of their original residence and mention will be made of any member living elsewhere.
Paytm clarifies, no charging any extra fee for transactions
• Denying reports of Paytm beginning to charge customers a transaction fee from today, the digital wallet said, "Paytm neither charges nor will charge any convenience or transaction fee.
• " It said a few merchants do not absorb the credit card charges. "In such cases, we recommend users to pay through their debit cards and UPI to avoid these charges," Paytm added.
• The Alibaba-backed digital payment company is India’s largest payment gateway and has almost half of the share in the market.
UGC announces new Initiative to boost research culture in India
• The University Grants Commission (UGC) has approved a new scheme - ‘Scheme for Trans-disciplinary Research for India’s Developing Economy’ (STRIDE).
• Broadly, STRIDE will provide support to research projects that are socially relevant, locally need-based, nationally important and globally significant.
• STRIDE shall support research capacity building as well as basic, applied and transformational action research that can contribute to national prioritiers with focus on inclusive human development. STRIDE shall support creation, development andintegration of new ideas, concepts and practices for public good and strengthening civil society.
Loan portal for MSMEs
• A portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com has been launched by a public limited company, ‘Online PSB loans Ltd’ in which SIDBI & other public sector banks hold majority stake.
• The portal facilitates in-principle approval of loans for MSMEs in 59 minutes by various banks.
• A separate Scheme has also been launched under which 2% interest subvention on fresh or incremental loan upto Rs.1 crore is provided to MSMEs having valid GSTN number and Udyog Aadhar Number. The above measures help the MSMEs in easier access to finance at reduced cost.