Current Affairs in Short: 02 July 2019
Indian opener Rohit Sharma has become the second cricketer to smash four hundreds in a World Cup edition.
India pledges to contribute USD 5 million in 2019 to UN Palestine refugee agency
• India has pledged to contribute USD 5 million in 2019 to the UN Palestine refugee agency, even as it voiced concern over the agency's difficult financial situation due to voluntary contributions from a limited donor base and called for ensuring sustained fiscal support for its work.
• India's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador K Nagaraj Naidu said the Government of India has increased its annual financial contribution fourfold to the UNRWA core budget, from USD 1.25 million in 2016 to USD 5 million in 2018.
• During the last five years, under an India-Palestine development partnership, 17 agreements have been signed in the fields of agriculture, health care, information technology, youth affairs, consular affairs, women's empowerment and media.
Rohit Sharma 2nd player in history to smash 4 tons in a World Cup
• Indian opener Rohit Sharma has become the second cricketer to smash four hundreds in a World Cup edition.
• The 32-year-old, who slammed 122 (not out), 140 and 102 against South Africa, Pakistan and England respectively earlier in 2019 World Cup, reached the three-figure mark against Bangladesh in 90 balls today.
• Former Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakara had achieved the feat in 2015 edition.
Strengthening of Tertiary Care Cancer facilities Scheme
• The Government of India is implementing “Strengthening of Tertiary Care Cancer facilities Scheme” to assist States/UTs in setting up of State Cancer Institutes (SCI) and Tertiary Care Cancer Centres (TCCC) in different parts of the country.
• Till date, proposals for setting up of 16 SCIs and 20 TCCCs have been approved, including one SCI in Odisha. State/UT wise list is given below.
• 27 Regional Cancer Centres were also set up under the erstwhile National Cancer Control Programme. Oncology in its various aspects has focus in case of new AIIMS and many upgraded institutions under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna (PMSSY).
Indo-French Joint Air Exercise ‘Garuda-VI’ begins
• Indian Air Force (IAF) and Armée de l’Air (French Air Force) are participating in Garuda VI, a bilateral air exercise at Mont de Marsan in France.
• The last edition of joint exercise between IAF-FAF was held in June 2014 at Air Force Station Jodhpur, Rajasthan. This year is the 6th edition of exercise which is taking place from 1 July to 12 July 2019.
• This joint India-France air exercise is aimed at enhancing interoperability level of French and Indian crews in air defence and ground attack missions.