Current Affairs in Short: 11 June 2019
Former Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari arrested from his residence in Islamabad following the court order.
Gorky BakshiJun 11, 2019 18:05 IST
Former Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari arrested on corruption charges
• National Accountability Bureau (NAB) spokesman Nawazish Ali confirmed to Reuters that Zardari has been arrested.
• A 15-member team of the NAB along with police personnel arrested Zardari from his residence in Islamabad following the court order.
• The case is related to transactions to the tune of Rs 4.4 billion that had been carried out through a fake bank account.
Wreckage of missing AN-32 aircraft found in Arunachal Pradesh
• The wreckage of the missing AN-32, a transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force, was spotted in Arunachal Pradesh, eight days after it went missing on June 3.
• The IAF confirmed that the wreckage was spotted 16 km North of Lipo, North East of Tato at an approximate elevation of 12000 ft by IAF Mi-17 Helicopter.
• Massive search operation had been launched to find out the missing aircraft, which had lost contact with the ground control before it went off radar on June 3.
Shikhar Dhawan ruled out of World Cup 2019 for 3 weeks
• Shikhar Dhawan has been ruled out of the 2019 Cricket World Cup for 3 weeks with a fractured thumb.
• He had been hit on his left thumb during India’s match against defending champions Australia.
• Shikhar Dhawan will therefore, not be able to play India’s upcoming matches against New Zealand, Pakistan, Afghanistan, West Indies and England.
Mamta Banerjee Unveils Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar statue
• West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee unveiled a bust of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar at the Hare School ground.
• Vidyasagar was a 19th-century social reformer and his bust was vandalised in clashes between BJP and TMC workers at Vidyasagar College on May 14.
• Trinamool Congress leaders, ministers in the West Bengal government, as well as some spiritual leaders were present in the event.
Former NIA Chief Sharad Kumar to be new Interim CVC
• Former NIA chief Sharad Kumar has been named interim CVC until a new incumbent is chosen by Prime Minister Narendra Modi-headed selection panel.
• He is former chief of anti-terror probe agency National Investigation Agency (NIA), took over as Vigilance Commissioner on June 12 last year.
• His tenure at the Central Vigilance Commission will end in October next year, when he completes 65 years of age.
IRSDC enters into Tripartite Agreement with French National Railways
• Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC) entered into a Tripartite Agreement with French Railways (SNCF) & AFD, a French Agency on 10th June, 2019.
• Under this agreement, AFD a French agency, has agreed to provide in-kind grant financing up to 7,00,000 EURO, through French National Railways (SNCF)-Hubs and Connexions as a Technical Partner to IRSDC to support the Railway Station Development Program in India.
• This will impose no financial liability on IRSDC or Indian Railways.