Current Affairs in Short: 14 June 2018
India and the US agreed to hold comprehensive talks to address trade and economic issues. The decision was taken during a series of meetings by the Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu with US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.
Industrial Production expanded by 4.9 percent in April
• The Industrial production expanded by 4.9 percent in April 2018 on improved performance by manufacturing and mining sectors.
• The industrial growth, based on Index of Industrial Production (IIP), was 3.2 percent in April 2017.
• The IIP for March 2018 has been revised upwards to 4.6 percent from 4.4 percent estimated earlier.
• As per the data released by the Central Statistics Office, the manufacturing sector, which accounts for over 77 percent weight of the index, recorded a growth of 5.2 percent in April 2018.
• Similarly, the mining output grew by 5.1 percent, compared to 3 percent in 2017.
India, US agree to hold comprehensive talks to address trade & economic issues
• India and the US agreed to hold comprehensive talks to address trade and economic issues.
• The decision was taken during a series of meetings by the Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu with US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.
• India will send an official team to the US to work out the details and initiate a comprehensive negotiation on all issues concerning trade and economic relationship between the two countries.
• President Trump, in his press conference in Canada's Quebec City during the G7 summit, took a dig at India along with the world's other top economies and accused New Delhi of charging 100 percent tariff on some of the US' goods.
Bindeshwar Pathak honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize 2018
• Noted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, Bindeshwar Pathak, was honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize.
• The award was given under Culture and Community category for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
• Launched in 1996, the award honours people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas of regional growth; science, technology & innovation and culture & community.
• The award was created and is presented by Nikkei Inc, one of the largest media corporations in Japan.
J P Nadda inaugurates 10th Meeting of Global Alliance to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis
• J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, inaugurated the 10th meeting of Global Alliance to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis (GAELF) on June 13, 2018.
• Nadda said that India as a Global leader is committed to eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) transmission and disease burden so that future generations are free from Lymphatic Filariasis.
• The Minister also released the Accelerated Plan for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) 2018 for India.
• Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) or commonly known as Elephantiasis is one of the oldest and most debilitating neglected disease, which is currently endemic in 73 countries of the world, including India.
• LF disease is caused mainly by Wuchereria Bancrofti and spread by Culex mosquito. This mosquito grows in dirty accumulated water.
• The disease affects the poorest population in society, particularly those living in areas with poor water, sanitation and hygiene.
• LF does not kill the affected people, but may cause permanent disfigurement, reduced productivity and social stigma.
Thawarchand Gehlot chairs 3rd Meeting of National Council of Senior Citizens’
• Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, chaired the 3rd Meeting of National Council of Senior Citizens (NCSrC), convened by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
• The NCSrC advises Central and State Governments on the entire gamut of issues related to welfare of senior citizens and enhancement of their quality of life.
• The NCSrC meets at least twice a year.
• Its first meeting was held on August 30, 2016 and the second meeting was held on June 19, 2017.
Boxing: India bag 1-Gold, 2-Silver medals at Umakhanov Memorial Tournament in Russia
• Indian boxers bagged one Gold and two Silver medals at the Umakhanov Memorial Tournament in the Russian city of Kaspiysk on June 12, 2018.
• Saweety Boora won the coveted yellow metal in the Women's 75 kg category after beating local favourite Anna Anfinogenova in the Final.
• In the Men's section, Brijesh Yadav in the 81 kg division and Virender Kumar in 91 kgs lost their Final bouts to settle for Silver medals.
• Earlier, India had claimed four Bronze medals in the Tournament.
Football: United States, Mexico and Canada win right to host 2026 World Cup
• The United States, Mexico and Canada won the right to host the 2026 World Cup after beating Morocco in a vote by FIFA member nations in Moscow.
• The North American bid received 134 of the 203 votes, while Morocco polled 65 in the ballot at a FIFA Congress held in Moscow.
• Football's World Cup event will return to the North American continent for the first time since 1994 when the United States hosted the tournament.