The Election Commission barred Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and BSP chief Mayawati from election campaigning for violating Model Code of Conduct by making objectionable statements in speeches.
EC bars Yogi from campaigning for 72 hours, Mayawati for 48 hours from campaigning
• The Election Commission barred Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and BSP chief Mayawati from election campaigning for violating Model Code of Conduct by making objectionable statements in speeches.
• Adityanath was barred for 72 hours and Mayawati has been barred for 48 hours.
• Yogi was served the notice for his remarks Ali and Bajrang Bali while addressing a rally in Meerut.
• Mayawati was issued the notice for her speech in Deoband appealing to people of a particular religion to vote in favour of SP, BSP and RLD alliance.
• The ban will be effective from April 16, 2019.
Indian squad for World Cup 2019 announced: Rishabh Pant and Ambati Rayudu out
• The BCCI announced the 15-member squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, scheduled to be held from May 30 to July 14, 2019.
• The team does not include Rishabh Pant and Ambati Rayudu; while Vijay Shanker, Dinesh Karthik and KL Rahul were named in the squad.
• The Indian squad comprises - Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni (WK), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, and Mohd Shami.
Union Cabinet approves continuation of GSLV Phase - 4 programme
• The Union Cabinet approved the continuation of the GSLV Phase - 4 programmes consisting of five GSLV flights during the period from 2021 to 2024.
• The Phase - 4 will enable the launch of two ton class of satellites for Geo-imaging, Navigation, Data Relay Communication and Space Sciences.
• The programme will meet the launch requirement of satellites for providing critical Satellite Navigation Services, Data Relay Communication for supporting the Indian Human spaceflight programme and the next interplanetary mission to Mars.
• The operationalization of GSLV made the country self-reliant in the launching capability of 2 tonne class of satellites for communication and meteorological satellites.
Social Democrats party wins Finland General Elections
• Finland's leftist Social Democrats recorded victory in General Elections with 100 percent of the votes counted.
• The Social Democrats, led by Antti Rinne, bagged 40 seats in the 200-member Parliament, while the opposition Finns Party fetched 39 seats.
• The National Coalition Party claimed 38 seats, with the current ruling Centre Party winning 31 seats.
• The remaining seats were won by other parties.
• The Social Democrats will head a government for the first time in Finland in 16 years; it has been a junior coalition member since.
President Ram Nath Kovind remembers Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh on his birth centenary
• President Ram Nath Kovind on April 15, 2019 remembered Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh on his birth centenary.
• Singh served as the Chief of the Indian Air Force during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 and World War II.
• He was the first Air Force officer to wear five stars.
• The then President KR Narayanan had conferred the five-star rank on Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh in January 2002.