UNSC to hold emergency meeting on violence along Gaza-Israeli border
• The United Nations Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on May 15 to discuss the violence along the Gaza-Israeli border.
• More than 50 Palestinians died after Israeli forces fired on people who were protesting the US embassy move to Jerusalem on Monday.
• UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres issued a statement through his spokesperson on May 14, expressing deep concern about the developments in Gaza. He urged both sides to show restraint to avoid further loss of life.
Telangana to provide 2% quota for sportspersons in government jobs
• Giving effect to Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao's recent announcement, an order was issued on May 14, 2018 providing two per cent reservation in government jobs in Telangana to meritorious sportspersons.
• The move however, will not affect the overall percentage of reservation in the state.
• The two per cent would be horizontal reservation and not vertical reservation.
• It would be applicable to 29 recognised sports disciplines.
President Kovind inaugurates Global Exhibition on Services-2018
• President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 4th edition of Global Exhibition on services in Mumbai on May 15, 2018.
• The President also released the logo for Services and launched the portal.
• The exhibition is expected to witness participation from around 25 Indian states and about 100 countries with 625 exhibitors and 500 overseas delegates.
• The event will also feature roundtables and seminars, state investment summits, B2B meetings, exhibition of key services sectors, cultural activities, country and international pavilions, among others.
Noted Malayalam actor Kalasala Babu passes away
• Veteran Malayalam film-theatre actor Kalasala Babu, known for a number of villainous and character roles, passed away in Kochi on May 13, 2018 after reportedly suffering a stroke. He was 68.
• A multi-faceted actor, Babu had tried his hand in all three major formats of acting- theatre, movies and television serials, in his career spanning over three decades.
• Before he entered the film industry, he acted in plays mostly produced by Kalidasa Kala Kendram.
• He even launched his own drama troupe called Kalasala in Tripunithura, which had artistes such as Thilakan and Surasu among others.
Paytm introduces automatic recurring payments
• Paytm has introduced automatic recurring payments, a new feature that would let users configure the payments app to pay for periodic recurring expenses automatically.
• Similar to standing instructions for bank accounts, the ‘My Payments’ feature can be used for high-value payments for a variety of cases.
• Company expects the feature to significantly boost bank-to-bank transactions on the Paytm app.
Government to install e-Gates at airports
• From January 2019, low-risk foreign travelers will not have to wait in long queues at airport immigration counters.
• The Indian government plans to install special automated kiosks — e-Gates — for speedy document and identity verification.
• At the e-Gates, foreigners would be able to present their machine-readable passports, place their fingerprints on the scanner and complete a customs declaration.
World Bank to provide a grant to Bangladesh
• The World Bank (WB) is going to provide Bangladesh with a grant to meet the basic needs of around one million Rohingyas who fled from Myanmar in August 2017.
• A World Bank team would be visiting Bangladesh to discuss the issue with the government.
• As per the bank’s conditions, the entire fund that the WB has finally agreed to provide Bangladesh will have to be spent for the Rohingyas only.