Guatemala moves embassy to Jerusalem
• Guatemala on May 16, 2018 opened its new embassy in Jerusalem, becoming the second country to do so after the United States, which made the move two days earlier.
• The move gives Israel a diplomatic boost even as it faces international criticism for the deadly violence on the Gaza border.
• Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said it was fitting since Guatemala also followed the US to be the second country to recognize Israel 70 years ago.
• President Donald Trump announced his decision in December 2017 to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and move the American embassy there, triggering criticism from countries across the world including some of US’s closest allies.
Union Government take action for removal of Allahabad Bank CEO Usha Ananthasubramanian
• Union Government initiated action for removal of Allahabad Bank CEO Usha Ananthasubramanian following the release of CBI’s first charge sheet in the USD 2 billion fraud case of PNB.
• The Allahabad Bank board has also been asked to divest Ananthasubramanian of all powers and initiate further action.
• Ananthasubramanian was the MD and CEO of the Punjab National Bank from 2015 to 2017.
RBI imposes lending, deposit curbs on Allahabad Bank
• RBI has imposed lending and deposit restrictions on Allahabad Bank, including the expansion of risky assets and creation of non-banking assets.
• RBI also asked the bank to reduce exposure to unrated and high-risk advances.
• The RBI directive comes in the wake of the bank’s common equity tier-1 breaching the minimum regulatory requirement of 7.37 percent in March 2018.
4th meeting of SAWEN held in Kolkata, India
• The fourth meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN), an inter-governmental wildlife law enforcement agency, was held in Kolkata, West Bengal (India) from May 8-10, 2018.
• It was the first meeting of SAWEN in India since its inception in 2011.
• The two-day conference was attended by representatives of seven (excluding Pakistan) out of eight member countries - Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
4 states, 1 UT sign MoUs for implementation of Ayushman Bharat scheme
• Four states and one union territory signed MoU with the National Health Mission of the Union Government for implementing Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Swasthya Suraksha Mission (PMRSSM).
• These states and UTs are Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand and Chandigarh (UT).
• These MoUs were signed during Ayushman Bharat Northern Region’s first workshop on PMRSSM at Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
More tests required for release of GM mustard: GEAC
• The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) demanded more tests for genetically modified mustard- Dhara Mustard Hybrid (DMH -11) for commercial cultivation.
• It called for field demonstrations of GM mustard in an area of 5 acres at two or three different locations across the country to study possible impact of transgenic crop on honey bees.
• GEAC also seeks additional data on other pollinators and also on soil microbial diversity.
First all-woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra starts operations in Phagwara, Punjab
• The Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) run by an all-woman team began its operations in Phagwara, Punjab.
• This kendra was 192nd POPSK in the country and first one to be operated by an all-woman team.
• It will cater needs of people from Kapurthala, Nawandhar and Jalandhar rural districts.
Sulabh International founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak honoured with Nikkei Asia Prize
• The founder of Sulabh International, Bindeshwar Pathak was honoured with the Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development.
• Pathak was described as Indian social reformer tackling two of his country’s biggest challenges — poor hygiene and discrimination. He was among three who were conferred with this award.
• Nikkei Asia Prize honours people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas: Economic and Business Innovation; Science and Technology and Environment; and Culture and Community.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.