Current Affairs in Short: 17 October 2019
Arvind Kejriwal announced that odd-even road rationing scheme will be implemented in Delhi from November 4 to November 15.
Delhi Govt. to implement Odd-Even scheme from Nov 4 for 12 days
• The Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal announced that odd-even road rationing scheme will be implemented in Delhi from November 4 to November 15, 2019.
• The odd-even scheme will be applicable from 8 AM to 8 PM, except on Sundays. Its major objective is to combat the high level of air pollution in Delhi-NCR.
• CM Kejriwal also said that violating the rule will incur a fine of four thousand rupees. This time no exemption for private CNG vehicles is allowed.
Kerala government extends maternity leave benefits to teachers
• Kerala Government has extended the benefits of maternity leave to teachers and other staff of private educational institutions.
• Kerala has become first states in India to give maternity leave facility in the private educational sector.
• The union government has already approved the scheme by Kerala government. Now, private schools’ male teachers will be able to avail 26 weeks’ maternity leave.
Jaffna international airport receives inaugural flight from Chennai
• Jaffna International Airport of Sri Lanka has received its inaugural flight from Chennai. Now, three flights in will reach Jaffna every week.
• It will provide a big boost to Sri Lanka’s connectivity with Southern India. Kochi and Tiruchirapalli will also be connected with Jaffna in the next phase.
• Jaffna airport has extended its runway length from 950 to 1400 meters to facilitate international flights. However, the length of the runway will be increased up to 2300 metres in the second phase.
Also Read | Current Affairs in Short: 16 October 2019
Lionel Messi wins sixth Golden Shoe Award
• Lionel Messi has won European Golden Shoe for the sixth time and third consecutive year. He earned this award because of his 36 goals this year.
• He has become the first International footballer who won this award for three consecutive years.
• Ronaldo won this award two times in 2014 and 2015.
Sajjan Jindal elects World Steel’s Vice Chairman
• Global steel federation World Steel has appointed Sajjan Jindal as Vice Chairman of the organization. He will take charge for the next year.
• Chief of ArcelorMittal group L N Mittal and Tata Steel CEO and MD T V Narendran have also appointed as its members.
• Apart from this, the board also elected a 14 member executive committee.
Also Read | World Food Day 2019: Know all about FAO report