Current Affairs in Short: 18 July 2019
Christine Lagarde announced that she will step down as managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
IMF head Christine Lagarde resigns from the post
• Christine Lagarde announced that she will step down as managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
• In her announcement she said that she has taken this decision because of her nomination as European Central Bank (ECB) president. Executive board can take necessary steps to move forward.
• In her previous roles she was part of the former French Cabinet, she was head of the IMF since 2011. Christine Lagarde(63 years old), started her career as a lawyer before entering into politics.
POCSO (Amendment) Bill-2019 introduced in Rajya Sabha
• The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill - 2019 seeks to amend the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012 which will make punishment stricter for committing sexual crimes against kids including death penalty.
• Recent amendments also provide for levy of fines and imprisonment to curb child pornography.
• To protect children and to ensure their safety and dignity bill is need of hour. The Bill was introduced by Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani.
Cabinet approves setting up of National Medical Commission
• National Medical Commission Bill, 2019 provides for setting up of a National Medical Commission in place of Medical Council of India.
• The Commission will regulate fee and all other charges for 50 per cent seats in private medical colleges and deemed universities.
• The strength of the Autonomous Boards has been increased from 3 to 5 and it includes 2 part-time members. One of them will be a doctor selected by the Government and the other will be an elected doctor from State Medical Council.
Former Pakistan PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi arrested by NAB
• Pakistan's National Accountability Bureau (NAB) arrested former Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi in a multi-billion-rupee case related to the award of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) import contract.
• He has served the post of Pakistan’s PM from August 2017 to May 2018. He was going to Lahore from Islamabad to hold a press conference but was arrested before reaching the venue.
• Former PM Nawaz Sharif is already serving seven years imprisonment in the Al-Azizia Mills case. PPP co-chairman and former President Asif Ali Zardari is also in NAB's custody in fake bank accounts case.
INS Sagardhwani Flagged Off for ‘Sagar Maitri’
• INS Sagardhwani has set sail from Kochi for a scientific venture called ‘Marine & Allied Interdisciplinary Training and Research Initiative (MAITRI)’.
• The ship’s mission which was conceptualized by DRDO, is in consonance with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Safety And Growth of All in the Region (SAGAR)’ to promote closer cooperation in socio-economic aspects, as well as greater scientific interaction.
• Prime objectives of the SAGAR MAITRI mission are data collection from the entire North Indian Ocean, focusing on the Andaman Sea and adjoining seas and establishing long term collaboration with eight IOR countries in the field of ‘Ocean Research and Development’.