Current Affairs in Short: 19 January 2023
New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern made a shocking announcement saying that she will resign from her position.
Current Affairs in Short
3rd meeting of Steering Committee of the Ken-Betwa link project held in New Delhi
- On January 18, 2023, the Ken-Betwa Link Project's Steering Committee met for the third time in New Delhi.
- Speaking on occasion, Pankaj Kumar, Secretary, of the Department of Water Resources, emphasized the importance of the Ken-Betwa connection project for the region's water security and socioeconomic development.
- He stated that it is a showpiece project of both the Centre and the State and that both are responsible for completing it on schedule.
India’s first 3x platform wind turbine generators (WTG) installed in Karnataka
- In Gadag, Karnataka, ReNew Power erected India's first 3x platform wind turbine generators (WTGs).
- The new wind turbine generators will be used in the country's first "Round the Clock" renewable energy project, which will combine wind, solar, and battery energy storage technology (BESS).
- This project will generate enough energy to power over 1 million Indian households annually.
Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand gave her resignation
- New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern made a shocking announcement saying that she will resign from her position.
- The 42-year-old Ardern claimed she no longer had "enough in the tank" after leading the country through the pandemic, the Covid outbreak, and its worst-ever terror incident.
- Ardern became the world's second prime minister to give birth while in office, following Pakistan's Benazir Bhutto in 1990.
Shubman Gill, youngest batsman to hit double centuries in one-day international cricket
- Shubman Gill joined the prestigious list on January 18, 2023, becoming the fifth Indian batsman to score 200 in the 50-over format, only one month after Ishan Kishan hammered a double century in an ODI.
- He cleared the ropes nine times in total and finished with 208 off just 149 deliveries.
- Shubman is also the youngest batsman to achieve the milestone.
Badara Alieu Joof, vice-president of Gambia country died in India
- President Adama Barrow said on January 18, 2023, that Gambia's Vice-President Badara Alieu Joof died of sickness in India.
- In 2022, Joof, 65, was chosen vice president of the West African country. He was once the education minister.
- The vice president departed Gambia for medical treatment around three weeks ago.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS
Read the latest Current Affairs updates and download the Monthly Current Affairs PDF for UPSC, SSC, Banking and all Govt & State level Competitive exams here.