Current Affairs in Short: 2 April 2019
Kandhamal Haldi, a variety of turmeric indigenous to southern Odisha, got the Geographical indication (GI) tag from Intellectual Property India, an organisation functioning under the Union ministry of Commerce & Industry.
'Kandhamal Haldi' gets GI tag
• 'Kandhamal Haldi', a variety of turmeric indigenous to southern Odisha, got the Geographical indication (GI) tag from Intellectual Property India, an organisation functioning under the Union ministry of Commerce & Industry.
• Kandhamal in southern Odisha is famed for its turmeric, a spice that enjoys its pride of place in an array of cuisines.
• The agricultural product also stands out for its healing properties and arresting aroma.
• The recognition coincided with Odisha’s Foundation Day (Utkal Divas). Odisha, on April 1, 1936, was declared as a separate state in the then British India.
Government constitutes Tribunal to decide on banning Jamaat-e-Islami J&K, JKLF
• The Union Government constituted a Tribunal to decide if there exist sufficient reasons to ban the Jamaat-e-Islami Jammu and Kashmir (JeL) and the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front-Yasin Malik (JKLF-Y) faction.
• Both the organisations were declared as unlawful associations by the centre.
• The tribunal will be headed by Justice Chander Shekhar of the Delhi High Court.
• The decision to constitute a tribunal was taken by the Government while exercising the powers conferred under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
RBI to inject USD 5 billion more liquidity into banking system
• The Reserve Bank of India will inject long-term liquidity worth USD 5 billion into the banking system through a dollar-rupee buy-sell swap for tenure of three years on April 23, 2019.
• The move is aimed at meeting the durable liquidity needs of the system.
• The swap will be in the nature of a simple buy-sell foreign exchange swap from the Reserve Bank side.
• Under the swap, a bank would sell US dollars to the RBI and simultaneously agree to buy the same amount of US dollars at the end of the swap period.
• The auction would be a multiple-price based auction in which successful bids will get accepted at their respective quoted premium.
US, South Korea Defence Chiefs met to discuss denuclearisation
• The US Acting Secretary of Defence, Patrick Shanahan met the South Korean Minister of National Defence, Jeong Kyeong-doo in Washington to discuss the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
• During their meeting, Shanahan and Jeong focused on the on-going diplomatic efforts to achieve a complete denuclearisation and peace on the Korean Peninsula.
• They also pledged to enhance coordination and cooperation in various areas including information sharing on issues regarding the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
• Jeong's visit came a month after the second summit between the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump in February 2019 in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi.
Bolivia joins International Solar Alliance
• During the state visit of the President Ram Nath Kovind to Bolivia, Bolivia signed the framework agreement to join the International Solar Alliance.
• The ISA is a major initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in contributing to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement through the rapid and massive deployment of solar energy.
• The International Solar Alliance was launched jointly by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande on the first day of the COP-21 summit at Paris in 2015.
• The International Solar Alliance aims to undertake joint efforts required to reduce the cost of finance and technology and mobilise more than USD 1000 billion of investments needed by 2030 for massive deployment of solar energy.