Current Affairs in Short: 2 May 2019
India managed to retain top spot in Test Cricket in the annual ICC rankings and England remained the number one ranked ODI team. Fortunately, no team was dropped out of the top 10.
India, England retain top spots in ICC Test, ODI rankings
• The annual ICC rankings were announced on May 2, 2019 and India managed to retain top spot in Test Cricket while England remained on top in ODI.
• England is the number one ranked ODI team with less than a month to go for the 2019 World Cup.
• India's lead over second-placed New Zealand in the Test rankings narrowed from eight to two points.
• Fortunately, no team was dropped out of the top 10, thus ensuring that the World Cup will see the 10 top-ranked sides in action.
Raheem Sterling named 2019 FWA footballer of the year
• Manchester City and England forward, Raheem Sterling of was named as the 2019 footballer of the year by the Football Writers' Association (FWA).
• Sterling topped the poll of the 400-strong FWA membership as a clear winner, with 62 percent of the votes.
• He was more than 100 votes ahead of Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk.
India to bid for 2024 World Table Tennis Championships
• The Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) decided to bid for the 2024 edition of the biennial World Table Tennis Championships.
• TTFI will bid for the 2024 edition in which 32 teams will take part.
• The last time India hosted a World Championships was way back in 1987.
• The last big ITTF event that was staged in India was in 2012 when Hyderabad hosted the World Junior Championships.
• Recently, the TTFI recommended three names to the sports ministry for the Arjuna award and they are Harmeet Desai, Sanil Shetty and Madhurika Patkar.
Election Commission bars Sadhvi Pragya from campaigning for 72 hrs
• The Election Commission barred BJP candidate Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur from campaigning for 72 hours for her recent remarks on former ATS chief Hemant Karkare and Babri mosque demolition.
• The ban became effective from 6:00 AM on May 2, 2019.
• The Commission strongly condemned her remarks and warned her not to repeat the misconduct in future.
Japan's new Emperor Naruhito ascends throne
• Japan’s new Emperor Naruhito ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne on May 1, 2019.
• He prayed for world peace in his first address to the nation after ascending the throne.
• He promised to bear in mind the path trodden by past emperors and devote himself to self-improvement.
• 59-year old Naruhito took the throne after his father Akihito's abdicated on April 30, 2019.
Indian & French Navies conduct Varuna 19.1 Bilateral Exercise
• The Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 began off the Goa coast on May 1, 2019. The exercise will conclude on May 10, 2019.
• This 17th edition includes participation of the French Navy’s aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle, two destroyers FNS Forbin and FNS Provence, the frigate FNS Latouche-Treville, the tanker FNS Marne and a nuclear submarine.
• From the Indian side, the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, destroyer INS Mumbai, the Teg-class frigate, INS Tarkash, the Shishumar- class submarine INS Shankul, and the Deepak- class fleet tanker INS Deepak will be participating in the exercise.
• The exercise will be conducted in two phases – Harbour Phase and Sea Phase.