Current Affairs in Short: 23 April 2019
Islamic State claimed the responsibility for coordinated bombings in Sri Lanka which killed 321 people and injured about 500 others. The group did not give evidence for its claim. On April 21, 2019, several bomb blasts ripped through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on the occasion of Easter, killing and wounding hundreds.
Rupali PruthiApr 23, 2019 17:26 IST
Islamic state claims responsibility for Sri Lanka bombings
• Islamic State claimed the responsibility for coordinated bombings in Sri Lanka which killed 321 people and injured about 500 others. The group did not give evidence for its claim.
• On April 21, 2019, several bomb blasts ripped through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on the occasion of Easter, killing and wounding hundreds.
• Serial explosions were reported from three churches - St Anthony's Church in Colombo, St Sebastian's in Katuwapitiyan and Zion church in Batticaloa and three five-star hotels, the Shangrila, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury.
• The attacks are the first major attack on the Indian Ocean Island since the end of a civil war 10 years ago. Following this, security was tightened at all sensitive places.
BJP declares singer Hans Raj Hans as its candidate from North-West Delhi
• The Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) declared singer Hans Raj Hans as its candidate from North-West Delhi Lok Sabha seat.
• BJP denied ticket to sitting MP Udit Raj, who threatened to quit the party if he is denied Lok Sabha ticket.
• Hans will stand on polls against Guggan Singh of the AAP and Rajesh Lilothia of the Congress.
Swacchta Pakhwada Awards-2019 conferred on All India Radio, Publication Division & Children's Film Society of India
• All India Radio and the Publication Division and Children's Film Society of India were awarded with the Swacchta Pakhwada Awards-2019.
• Director General of All India Radio, F. Sheheryar and Director General (News), Ira Joshi received the Award for All India Radio.
• Press Council of India, Press Information Bureau and BECIL were also mentioned during the award ceremony for their efforts during the Swacchta Pakhwada.
Asia Badminton Championships to begins at Wuhan in China
• The Asia Badminton Championships began at Wuhan in China.
• The Championships will continue till 28 April.
• India will be represented by Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma in men's singles and P.V. Sindhu and Saina Nehwal in women's singles.
• Two of the country's top shuttlers, HS Prannoy and B Sai Praneeth alleged that the Badminton Association of India (BAI) denied them a chance to participate in the Championships. However, the BAI denied the allegations.
EC bans Congress leader Navjot Singh Sidhu from campaigning
• The Election Commission banned Congress leader and Punjab Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu from election campaign for 72 hours for violating Model Code of Conduct.
• The ban will be effective from 10 AM on April 23, 2019.
• Earlier the Commission issued notice to Sidhu for seeking votes on religion lines at a rally in Katihar district of Bihar.
Vinod Zutshi appointed as special observer for Tripura
• Former deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi was appointed as a Special Observer for Tripura where polling is being held in the third phase of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019.
• The Election Commission had earlier postponed polling in the Tripura (East) Lok Sabha seat, saying the prevailing law and order situation there is not favorable for holding free and fair polls.
• Tripura East Parliamentary Constituency’s elections were cancelled in Phase 2 of elections.
Nasim Zaidi quits Jet Airways’ Board
• Nasim Zaidi, Non-executive and Non-independent Director of Jet Airways, resigned from the board, citing personal reasons and time constraints.
• Zaidi, the former Chief Election Commissioner and ex- civil aviation secretary, joined the Jet Airways board in August 2018.
• Zaidi’s resignation comes after cash-strapped Jet Airways recently suspended all its domestic and international flights indefinitely with immediate effect after the lenders refused to release emergency funds for the carrier.