Current Affairs in Short 24 June 2019
Union law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad introduced the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in the Lok Sabha.
Ravi Shankar Prasad introduces Aadhaar Bill in Lok Sabha
• Union law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad introduced the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in the Lok Sabha.
• The bill was tabled amidst protests by opposition parties over concerns of privacy. The legislation will now replace an ordinance issued in March this year, and proposes to impose strict penalties for violation of norms.
• Senior Left leader N.K. Premachandran opposed the bill on three key grounds; it violates an earlier Supreme Court judgment, allows for private agencies to store data and violates fundamental rights.
Muzaffarpur Court Orders Probe Against Union, State Health Ministers
• Muzaffarpur Chief Judicial Magistrate, Suryakant Tiwari ordered probe against Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan and Bihar Minister Mangal Pandey.
• He ordered in a case of negligence registered against them, in connection with deaths of children in Muzaffarpur due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES).
• Also, Supreme Court asked the state government to file an affidavit on the questions concerning the adequacy of medicines and nutrition and hygiene amongst others in a week’s time.
Qu Dongyu Becomes First Chinese To Head UN's Food Agency
• Qu Dongyu became the first Chinese national to be elected to head the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization, clinching the post in the first round of voting.
• Qu, 55, a biologist by training, won 108 votes, followed by Catherine Geslain-Laneelle of France with 71 votes and Georgia's Davit Kirvalidze with 12.
• His election to the helm of the Rome-based agency, which brings together 194 member countries, comes as the fight to eradicate world hunger takes a blow from global warming and wars.
Iran claims US Cyber Attacks on Iranian Targets Not Successful
• U.S. cyber attacks against Iranian targets have not been successful, Iran's telecoms minister claimed, within days of reports that the Pentagon had launched a long-planned cyber attack to disable his country's rocket launch systems.
• Tension runs high between longtime foes Iran and the United States after U.S. President Donald Trump said he called off a military strike to retaliate for the Middle East nation's downing of an unmanned U.S. drone.
• "They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack," Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi, Iran's minister for information and communications technology, said on social network Twitter.
Nasa's Curiosity Rover Detects High Methane Gas Levels on Mars
• NASA’s Curiosity rover on Mars has made yet another discovery about the Red Planet. It has found that methane gas is present on Mars.
• The findings have come from the tunable laser spectrometer that is onboard the rover. The spectrometer is one of the three instruments that make up the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM).
• When Curiosity first landed on Mars, there were no signs of methane, but in 2013 there was a sudden spike. It seems that the rise and fall of methane gas is seasonal but the scientists at NASA do not have enough information on the reason yet.