Current Affairs in Short: 25 April 2019
Sri Lanka banned the use of drones and unmanned aircraft following the massive Easter bombings that killed over 350 people and injured more than 500 in the country’s worst terror attack.
Rupali PruthiApr 25, 2019 17:36 IST
Chatra, Lohardaga, Palamau Constituencies of Jharkhand to go to Polls in Phase IV
• In the Fourth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019, Chatra, Lohardaga and Palmau Parliamentary Constituencies of Jharkhand would be going to polls on April 29, 2019.
• Chatra is a General seat, Lohardaga is a Scheduled Tribe seat and Palamau is a Scheduled Caste seat.
• There are a total of 45,26,693 electors in these 3 constituencies, of which, 23,85,932 are male electors, 21,40,750 female electors and 11 are third gender electors.
• 26 Candidates are contesting from Chatra, 14 from Lohardaga and 19 from Palamau.
Sri Lanka bans drones, unmanned aircraft after Easter bombings
• Sri Lanka banned the use of drones and unmanned aircraft following the massive Easter bombings that killed over 350 people and injured more than 500 in the country’s worst terror attack.
• The measure was taken in view of the existing security situation in the country. The ban will be in effect until further notice.
• Meanwhile, Sri Lankan authorities are continuously carrying out their search operations with the help of army.
Nobel Prize 2019 announcements to take place in October
• The Nobel Prize 2019 announcements will take place in October 2019.
• The Nobel Prize is issued every year in the fields of Physiology or Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Literature, and Peace.
• The winner of the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel will also be announced.
• The Nobel Peace Prize awardee will be named on October 11, 2019.
66th National Film Awards to be declared after General Elections
• Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting announced that 66th National Film Awards will be declared after General Elections 2019.
• The selections of awards are made by an independent jury consisting of eminent filmmakers and film personalities and declared in April every year.
• However considering the ongoing elections to the 17th Lok Sabha, the Ministry delayed announcement of award in view of the model code of conduct.
Kim Jong-un, Vladimir Putin hold first summit talks in Vladivostok
• North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Russian President Vladimir Putin held summit talks for the time ever in the Pacific port city of Vladivostok.
• Kim reached the Russian Far East on his private train.
• Both the leaders will talk about the Korean peninsula's nuclear problem.
• Kim is expected to seek support of Russia after failing to reach an agreement with US President Trump on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons programme at Hanoi.
• Russia has previously been involved in talks to end North Korea's nuclear programme.
Issue of Rs 200, Rs 500 banknotes bearing signature of Governor Shaktikanta Das
• The Reserve Bank of India will shortly issue Rs 200 and Rs 500 denomination Banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series bearing the signature of Shaktikanta Das, RBI Governor.
• The design of these notes will be similar in all respects to the banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series.
• All banknotes in the denomination of Rs 200 and Rs 500 issued by the Reserve Bank in the past will continue to be legal tender.