Current Affairs in Short: 26 March 2018
A self-taught rocket scientist Mike Hughes propelled himself about 1,875 feet into the air in a home-made rocket, before a hard landing in the Mojave Desert, North America.
Fire broke out at shopping complex in Russia's Kemerovo
• At least 64 people have died in a fire that engulfed a shopping complex in the Siberian coal-mining city of Kemerovo, Russia.
• The cause of the fire is not yet known, however, the authorities have launched an investigation.
• According to the Investigative Committee, four people have been detained for questioning, including the head of the company that manages the shopping centre.
• The fire started on an upper floor of the Winter Cherry complex shopping mall in central Kemerovo.
Mike Hughes blasts himself into the sky on his home-built rocket
• A self-taught rocket scientist Mike Hughes propelled himself about 1,875 feet into the air in a home-made rocket, before a hard landing in the Mojave Desert, North America.
• Hughes believed that the earth is flat and he launched himself to prove the planet's flatness.
• In order to carry out the launch, the 61-year-old limo driver converted a mobile home into a ramp and modified it to launch from a vertical angle so he wouldn't fall back to the ground on public land.
• The rocket crashed back down to earth with the nose of the ship breaking in two places, like it was designed to do.
Commerce ministry terminates anti-dumping probe on solar cells
• The Commerce Ministry's investigation arm Directorate General of Anti-Dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) terminated its anti-dumping probe on imports of solar cells from China, Taiwan and Malaysia.
• The probe was initiated by the DGAD on July 21, 2017 following complaints of dumping of the product by the association.
• The Indian Solar Manufacturers Association has made a request to terminate the present investigation.
e-Tribes India to be launched by Tribal Affairs Ministry
• The “e-Tribes India” would be launched soon by the Union Tribal Affairs Ministry.
• The Launch of e-Tribes includes www.tribesindia.com, www.trifed.in and Retail Inventory Software and M-commerce app.
• Besides, the occasion will also mark the launch of ‘Tribes India’ Banners at Amazon, Snapdeal, Paytm & GeM.
First International Exhibition of Graphic Prints held in New Delhi
• The first-ever International Print Biennale, an International Exhibition of Graphic Prints was held in New Delhi.
• It was organised by Lalit Kala Akademi.
• The event displayed a total of 200 original prints created by Indian and international artists of impeccable competence.
• Total 988 entries at the national level were received of which 127 were chosen for display.