Current Affairs in Short: 27 May 2019
Ancient ‘Guru Nanak palace’ of Pakistan was partially demolished by locals who sold its precious windows, doors and ventilators in Pakistan’s Punjab province. The walls of the palace had pictures of Sikh founder Guru Nanak along with various Hindu rulers.
Rupali PruthiMay 27, 2019 18:10 IST
PM Modi’s Thanksgiving visit to Varanasi: Stresses on Sabka Saath Sabka Vikaas
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Varanasi today for thanking the people of the city for electing him as the MP.
• PM Modi won the Lok Sabha Elections 2019 from the Varanasi constituency by a margin of over 4.5 lakh votes.
• During his visit, PM Modi assured that his government will work towards ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas’ through transparency and hard work.
• He said that the country is moving on the path of development and economic growth. His party, BJP, is committed to uphold the values of democracy.
Veeru Devgan, father of Ajay Devgan, passes away
• Veeru Devgan, action-director and father of actor Ajay Devgan, passed away in Mumbai today. He was 77.
• Devgan directed some super-hit films like “Roti Kapda Aur Makaan” and “Mr Natwarlal”.
• Veeru worked in more than 80 Bollywood films.
• He himself did the stunt work for actors like Dilip Kumar, Jeetendra, Dharmendra, Rajesh Khanna and Vinod Khanna.
• One of his most famous action scenes is in “Phool Aur Kaante”, the debut movie of his son Ajay.
Historical ‘Guru Nanak palace’ of Pakistan partially demolished
• Ancient ‘Guru Nanak palace’ of Pakistan was partially demolished by locals who sold its precious windows, doors and ventilators in Pakistan’s Punjab province.
• The walls of the palace had pictures of Sikh founder Guru Nanak along with various Hindu rulers.
• It had 16 rooms, each having at least three delicate doors and at least four ventilators.
• The people in the area requested Prime Minister Imran Khan to take action against those responsible.
Nobel-winning physicist Murray Gell-Mann died
• Nobel Prize-winning physicist Murray Gell-Mannhas died in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was 89.
• Gell-Mann was honored with the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1969 “for his contributions and discoveries concerning the classification of elementary particles and their interactions.”
• He transformed physics by helping discover and classify subatomic particles into simple groups of eight, based on electric charge, spin and other characteristics.
• He was the distinguished fellow of the Santa Fe Institute and taught at the California Institute of Technology.
Prem Singh Golay took oath as Sikkim CM
• Prem Singh Golay, President of the Sikkim Karantikari Morcha (SKM), took oath as the Chief Minister of Sikkim.
• Golay was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Ganga Prasad.
• Along with Golay, state’s Council of Ministers also took the oath including Kunga Nima Lepcha, Sonam Lama, Arun Upreti, Loknath Sharma, BS Pant, Mani Kumar Sharma, Mingma Norbu, Bhim Hang Subba, Karma Loday Bhutia and Sanjit Kharel.
• The swearing-in ceremony was attended by outgoing Chief Minister Pawan Chaling.
Naveen Patnaik to take oath as Odisha CM; state farmers to get KALIA money on oath-taking day
• Naveen Patnaik will be sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Odisha on for the fifth consecutive term on May 29, 2019. This will be the fifth consecutive term of Patnaik.
• On the day of swearing-in, 6 to 7 lakh farmers under the state’s KALIA scheme will receive the financial assistance of Rs 5000 through Direct Benefit Transfer.
• The rest of the beneficiaries will get the amount within two to three days of the ceremony.
• Earlier in the beginning of the year, 42 lakh farmers of Odisha received the first instalment under the Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme.
Jagan Mohan Reddy to be sworn in as Andhra Pradesh CM
• YSR Congress party leader Jagan Mohan Reddy will be sworn-in as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on May 30, 2019 at IGM Stadium in Vijayawada.
• Reddy will be administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor E. S. L. Narasimhan.
• Earlier, Reddy met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and invited him for his swearing-in ceremony.
ICMR head Balram Bhargava wins Dr Lee Jong-wook Prize for Public Health
• Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Professor Balram Bhargava recently won the 2019 Dr Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health.
• He was bestowed with the award at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva.
• He bagged the award for his achievements as a clinician, innovator, researcher and trainer.