Current Affairs in Short: 29 March 2019
The Supreme Court upheld the life imprisonment of P. Rajagopal, owner of popular restaurant Sarvana Bhavan chain, in the Prince Santhakumar murder case. The case relates to the murder of Santhakumar, husband of Jeevajothi whom Rajagopal wanted to marry.
Assam CEO Mukesh Sahu launches ‘Enajori Initiative’ in Guwahati
• Assam Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Mukesh Sahu launched the Enajori initiative in Guwahati.
• The initiative is for persons with disabilities with an aim that 'No Voter to be Left behind'.
• It is a joint initiative of CEO Assam and the state’s Social Welfare Department to make Lok Sabha Elections 2019 accessible to Persons with Disability (PwD) voters.
• Under this initiative, comprehensive mapping of PwDs will be done in consultation with Booth Level Officers, Divyang Sarothis and a woman mascot-Chandraprabha.
• The Social Welfare Department will entrust field officials under the leadership of District Disability Co-ordinator and District Social Welfare Officer to conduct the mapping to make them aware of ethical and informed voting.
CBIC clarifies on change and transfer in ownership of business
• Goods and Services Tax (GST) authority, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) clarified that in case of death of the sole proprietor, there will be transfer or change in the ownership of business.
• The transferee or the successor will be required to register with effect from the date of transfer or succession of business to another person for any reasons including death of the proprietor.
• The applicant will be required to mention the reason to obtain registration as death of the proprietor in the registration form.
• The legal heir of the dead sole proprietor will be required to give application for cancellation of the existing registration.
• The GST Identification Number (GSTIN) of transferee is also required to be mentioned to link the GSTIN of the transferor with the GSTIN of transferee.
Government to infuse around Rs 5000 crore into Bank Of Baroda
• The Government decided to infuse around Rs 5000 crore into state-owned Bank of Baroda, ahead of merger of Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank with the Bank of Baroda.
• The merger of Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank with Bank of Baroda would be effective from April 1, 2019.
• The government announced the merger in September 2018 with an aim to create the third-largest lender after SBI and ICICI Bank.
Supreme Court upholds life term for Saravana Bhavan owner P Rajagopal in murder case
• The Supreme Court upheld the life imprisonment of P. Rajagopal, owner of popular restaurant Sarvana Bhavan chain, in the Prince Santhakumar murder case.
• The case relates to the murder of Santhakumar, husband of Jeevajothi.
• Jeevajothi is the daughter of Ramaswamy, who was an employee of Saravana Bhavan. Rajagopal wanted to marry Jeevajothi but she did not oblige.
• The court had granted him bail in 2009 on health reasons along with the other convicts Daniel, Karmegam, Zakir Hussain, Kasi Viswanathan and Pattu Rajan. All of them were hired by Rajagopal to commit the murder.
• The Madras High Court had convicted Rajagopal under section 302 IPC (punishment for murder) and sentenced him to undergo life imprisonment along with the five others.
Actor Ranveer Singh launches independent music label ‘IncInk’
• Actor Ranveer Singh, who earned applauds for his rapping skills in film ‘Gully Boy’, has launched his independent music record label “IncInk”.
• Ranveer paired up with filmmaker Navzar Eranee to launch the label.
• He has collaborated with rappers Kaam Bhaari, Slow Cheeta and Spitfire for the music venture.
• In literal terms, ‘IncInk’ means writing one’s own story. IncInk is an independent record label formed by artistes for artistes to discover, nurture and promote exciting talents from across India.