Current Affairs in Short: 30 August 2018
Russian military successfully conducted a test launch of a new interceptor missile for Russia’s missile defense system. The test was conducted at the test site of Sary-Shagan in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Russia successfully conducts a test launch of new interceptor missile
• Russian military successfully conducted a test launch of a new interceptor missile for Russia’s missile defense system.
• The test was conducted at the test site of Sary-Shagan in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
• The interceptor missile successfully performed its task and hit the simulated target with the specified precision.
• The Defense Ministry previously reported about successful trials of Russia’s new antimissile in February, April and July.
Maharashtra Cabinet clears proposal for financing farmers for purchasing farm equipment
• Maharashtra Cabinet cleared a proposal for financing farmers for purchasing farm equipment with an initial corpus of Rs 50 crore.
• The scheme is aimed at expediting the government's ambitious plan to double the income of farmers by 2022.
• The farmers from SC/ST community and women farmers would get 35 percent funding of the total cost for purchasing tractor while for other equipment, a subsidy of 50 percent will be given.
• The Cabinet also cleared a proposal to change the name of Mumbai-based Bombay Veterinary College to the Mumbai Veterinary College.
• Another proposal was approved worth 16 crore rupees for creation of four percolation tanks.
Union Government asks states to ban e-cigarettes
• Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued advisory to all states and Union Territories to not allow manufacture, sale and advertisement of e-cigarettes and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS).
• It issued warning that use e-cigarettes and other ENDS devices pose great health risk to public at large, especially to children and pregnant women.
• Punjab, Karnataka, Kerala, Mizoram, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar already have prohibited manufacture, import, sale and distribution of e-cigarettes and ENDS.
• ENDS are devices that heat solution to create aerosol, which also frequently contains flavours, usually dissolved into propylene glycolor and glycerin. E-cigarettes are most common prototype of ENDS.
India, EU join hands for research programme Horizon 2020
• Union Government and European Union (EU) collaborated for research programme named ‘Horizon 2020’ to develop Next Generation Influenza Vaccine to protect citizens across the globe.
• For this research programme, India’s Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and EU committed Euro 15 million (Rs 240 crore).
• Under this project, cost-effective and affordable influenza vaccine will be developed.
• The vaccine will be developed by EU-India consortia by bringing together multi-disciplinary stakeholders who represent any part of chain from lab to market.
• It will comprise minimum of three applicants from Europe (three different EU member states) or countries associated to EU programme Horizon 2020 and minimum three applicants from India.
Google unveils new platform Navlekha for Indic language publishers
• Search engine giant Google launched Project Navlekha to make online content relevant for more Indian users especially in local languages.
• It was unveiled along with host of upgrades of Google’s other products at fourth ‘Google for India’ event held in New Delhi.
• Navlekha is word derived from Sanskrit meaning “a new way to write.” This project aims to bring 135000 local language publishers online by making web hosting smooth and simple.
• It will allow local publishers who do not have websites to make their offline content fit for online publishing in less than a minute.
• It also comprises tool that uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to allow publishers to simply scan documents or PDFs and create instant web pages on the platform.
6TH RCEP Ministerial Meeting begins in Singapore
• The 6th RCEP Trade Ministers’ Meeting began in Singapore on August 30, 2018.
• Union Minister of Commerce& Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu is leading the Indian delegation for the meeting.
• The Minister will participate in the meeting consisting of 10 ASEAN countries and six ASEAN FTA partners namely, India, China, Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
• On September 1, 2018, Suresh Prabhu will take part in the 6th East-Asia Economic Ministers’ Meeting (EAS-EMM), which will be attended by Trade and Economic Ministers of 10 ASEAN countries and 8 Dialogue Partners of ASEAN including India, China, US, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.