16-22 July 2017: Quizzes for the week cover the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include NDA's candidate for the Vice-Presidential Elections 2017, National Steering Committee and Proxima Centauri among others.
1. He will head the 19-member panel, named National Steering Committee, which was constituted to study cow derivatives.
a) Prof. V. Ramgopal Rao
b) Prof. V.K. Vijay
c) Harsh Vardhan
d) Prakash Javadekar
2. According to a recent study, which delta region shrank by 20 per cent due to climate change?
3. Who of the following Indo-Canadian vloggers was recently appointed the UNICEF’s Global Goodwill Ambassador?
a) Lilly Singh
b) Sanjay Thumma
c) Sahil Khattar
d) Kanan Gill
4. Name the automaker that in July 2017 rolled out India’s first Bio-CNG (bio-methane) bus.
a) TVS Motor
b) Tata Motors
c) Volvo Buses India Private Limited
d) Mahindra & Mahindra
5. Name the indigenously developed newborn hearing screening device that was launched by YS Chowdary, the Minister of State for Science and Technology & Earth science in recent past.
6. Who was named as the NDA's candidate for the Vice-Presidential Elections 2017?
a) M Venkaiah Naidu
b) Ram Nath Kovind
c) Gopalkrishna Gandhi
d) Meira Kumar
7. Who of the following was recently given additional charge of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry?
a) Narendra Singh Tomar
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Smriti Irani
d) D. V. Sadananda Gowda
8. Nelson Mandela International Day was observed across the world on which day?
a) 15 July
b) 18 July
c) 17 July
d) 13 July
9. Who took oath as Members of the Lok Sabha recently?
a) Farooq Abdullah and LK Qadri
b) LK Qadri and PK Kunhalikutty
c) Farooq Abdullah and PK Kunhalikutty
d) Majid Sheikh and PK Kunhalikutty
10. PM Narendra Modi would be inaugurating a national memorial to mark the death anniversary of which former Indian President?
a) APJ Abdul Kalam
b) K R Narayanan
c) R. Venkataraman
d) Shankar Dayal Sharma
11. Who was sworn-in as the chief minister of Nagaland?
a) TR Zeliang
b) Shurhozelie Liezietsu
c) Hokishe Sema
d) Vizol Angami
12. Which mobile app was launched by UIDAI to carry unique identification profile on mobile?
a) myAadhaar app
b) mAadhaar app
c) Aadhaar app
d) uAadhaar app
13. Who has been appointed as the new bowling coach of Team India?
a) Bharat Arun
b) Zaheer Khan
c) Sanjay Bangar
d) Ravi Shastri
14. Astrosat, Chandra and Hubble recently jointly detected massive cosmic explosion on which of the following stars?
a) Barnard’s Star
b) AD Leonis
c) Proxima Centauri
d) Kruger 60
15. The Union Ministry of Rural Development will soon launch a new sub-scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana under which of the following missions?
a) Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission
b) Mission Rural India
d) Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan
1. (c) Harsh Vardhan
A circular accessed by PTI says, “Headed by Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan, the committee will select projects that can help scientifically validate the benefits of panchgavya — the concoction of cow dung, cow urine, milk, curd and ghee — in various spheres such as nutrition, health and agriculture.”
2. (b) Cauvery
The Cauvery delta region, widely regarded as the granary of Tamil Nadu, has shrunk by 20 per cent. This was revealed by a study undertaken by S. Janakarajan, retired professor of the Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS).
3. (a) Lilly Singh
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 15 July 2017 appointed Indian-origin Canadian YouTube star Lilly Singh as its newest Global Goodwill Ambassador.
4. (b) Tata Motors
Auto Major Tata Motors on 17 July 2017 rolled out the country’s first Bio-CNG (bio-methane) bus. The bus was rolled out at the Bio-energy programme, called ‘Urja Utsav’, which was organized by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
5. (b) SOHUM
SOHUM, an indigenously developed newborn hearing screening device, was formally launched on 17 July 2017 by YS Chowdary, the Minister of State for Science and Technology & Earth Sciences, at Prithvi Bhavan, New Delhi. SOHUM is a low cost and unique device which uses brainstem auditory evoked response, the gold standard in auditory testing to check for hearing the response in a newborn.
6. (a) M Venkaiah Naidu
Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu was on 17 July 2017 named as the NDA’s candidate for the Vice-Presidential Elections 2017 that are scheduled to take place on 5 August 2017. Naidu is pitted against Gopalkrishna Gandhi, who was chosen by an alliance of 18 opposition parties, including Congress.
7. (c) Smriti Irani
Union Textile Minister Smriti Irani on 18 July 2017 was given additional charge of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry. The decision was taken following Venkaiah Naidu’s resignation from the post to contest for the Vice-President election as the candidate of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
8. (b) 18 July
Nelson Mandela International Day was observed across the world on 18 July 2017, the day the great South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, politician, and philanthropist, Nelson Mandela, also the late President of the nation, was born.
9. (c) Farooq Abdullah and PK Kunhalikutty
National Conference leader and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah and Indian Union Muslim League leader PK Kunhalikuttyon took oath as members of the Lok Sabha. Abdullah won the by-poll from the Srinagar-Budgam parliamentary constituency, while, Kunhalikutty won the Malappuram by-poll in Kerala.
10. (a) A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
Prime Minister Narendra Modi would be inaugurating a memorial for former Indian President A P J Abdul Kalam at his birthplace Peikarumbu near Rameswaram on 27 July 2017, on the occasion of his second death anniversary. A. P. J Abdul Kalam was the 11th President of India.
11. (a) TR Zeliang
TR Zeliang, a leader of the Nagaland People’s Front, was sworn-in as the Chief minister of Nagaland recently. He succeeded Shurhozelie Liezietsu, who did not turn up to face a floor test with his MLAs at a special session of the state assembly on 19 July 2017.
12. (b) mAadhaar app
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) recently launched mAadhaar app for mobile users that will allow users to carry unique identification profile on mobile. A user can download Aadhaar number profile through their smartphones on Google Play Store.
13. (a) Bharat Arun
Bharat Arun was appointed as the new bowling coach of Team India by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 18 July 2017. The decision was announced during a press briefing held by the newly appointed Indian team coach Ravi Shastri after meeting the four-member BCCI panel.
14. (c) Proxima Centauri
Three space-based observatories Astrosat, Chandra, Hubble Space Telescope and a ground-based observatory HARPS have simultaneously detected a massive coronal explosion on the nearest planet-hosting star ‘Proxima Centauri’.
15. (a) Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission
The Union Ministry of Rural Development on 20 July 2017 announced that it will launch a new sub-scheme Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana aims to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.