Current Affairs Quiz: 20 August 2021
The day’s updated Current Affairs quizzes cover topics such as new Prime Minister Malaysian, Diksha Shinde, three-child policy and antibody cocktail therapy among others.
20 August 2021: The Current Affairs Quiz section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise Current Affairs of the day at ease. The day’s updated Current Affairs quizzes cover topics such as new Prime Minister Malaysian, Diksha Shinde, three-child policy and antibody cocktail therapy among others.
1. Which country's President has refused to let his country become Europe's 'refugee warehouse?
2. Ismail Sabri Yaakob has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of which nation?
3. A 14-yr-old Indian, Diksha Shinde was selected as a panelist on which space agency's MSI Fellowships Virtual Panel?
4. Which nation has formally approved a three-child policy to prevent a demographic crisis?
b) South Korea
c) North Korea
5. Which vaccine maker has sought approval for vaccine trials for the 12-17 group in India?
6. Which drugmaker's antibody cocktail therapy has proven to be successful at preventing COVID-19, as per a study?
7. Dronacharya Awardee coach OM Nambiar passed away on August 19th. He was the coach of which Indian track legend?
a) Milkha Singh
b) PT Usha
c) Dutee Chand
d) Anju Bobby George
1. (c) Turkey
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated recently that Turkey has no obligation to be a "Europe refugee warehouse". He called on other European countries to take responsibility for Afghans fleeing the Taliban. Turkey has been working closely with the United Kingdom in Afghanistan to ensure that evacuations continue safely.
2. (b) Malaysia
Former Deputy Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob was appointed as the new Prime Minister of Malaysia on August 20, 2021. Malaysia's King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah has appointed Ismail Sabri as the new Prime Minister of the country.
3. (a) NASA
A 14-year-old Indian girl from Maharashtra's Aurangabad, Diksha Shinde has been selected as a panelist on NASA's MSI Fellowships Virtual Panel. The panel meetings were held from July 12-16, 2021.
4. (d) China
China's national legislature formally approved a three-child policy on August 20, 2021, marking a major policy shift to prevent a steep decline in the birth rate. The move marks an end to the world's most populous country's strict two-child policy rule.
5. (a) J&J
Johnson & Johnson has applied for permission to conduct COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials in India on children aged between 12 to 17 years. Johnson & Johnson informed that it submitted its application on August 17. The firm added that it is imperative to ensure all the sections of the population, including children, are vaccinated against the COVID-19 as quickly as possible to control the virus.
6. (c) AstraZeneca
AstraZeneca, a UK-based biopharmaceutical company, on August 20, 2021, announced that its PROVENT Phase-III prophylaxis trial of its antibody cocktail therapy AZD7442, a combination of two long-acting antibodies (LAAB), met the primary goal of preventing COVID-19 in late-stage cases.
7. (b) PT Usha
Track legend PT Usha's coach OM Nambiar passed away on August 20, 2021. OM Nambiar was a Dronacharya Awardee. PT Usha expressed anguished on his death saying that this void can never be filled.