Last week of May 2013 witnessed commissioning of satellite data receiving station by China, counter-terrorism deal between India and Saudi Arabia, IMF forecast of growth for China and more. Solve the quizzes that follow to test your knowledge on the recent events.
1. China in the month of May 2013 commissioned a satellite data receiving station meant to monitor the___________ where Beijing was involved in maritime disputes with a number of South East Asian countries?
a) Disputed South China Sea
b) Disputed North China Sea
c) Disputed East China Sea
d) Disputed region of Indian Ocean
Answer: (a) Disputed South China Sea
2. India and Saudi Arabia on 26 May 2013 decided to further strengthen and deepen their counter-terrorism cooperation. This was decided during the visit of ___________ to Saudi Arabia?
a) Vice President of India Hamid Ansari
b) Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh
c) External Affairs Minister, Salman Khurshid
d) Union Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Sinde
Answer: (c) External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid
3. Mali's Presidential election will be held on 28 July 2013, on the basis of the draft law adopted by the cabinet as the nation struggles to move on from ___________?
a) The 3 years of political crisis and war in the nation
c) Political crisis of 6 months of the country
d) War and an 18-month political crisis
Answer: (d) War and an 18-month political crisis
4. India, the United States and Australia in the third week of May 2013 came together to develop new _____________ of rice and wheat, two of the major crops in the world?
a) Heat-resilient varieties
b) Winter-resilient varieties
c) Snow-resilient varieties
d) Climate-resilient varieties
Answer: (d) Climate-resilient varieties
5. IMF in May 2013 lowered its forecast of Chinese Economic Growth Rate at _______?
a) 7.75 percent
b) 7.80 percent
c) 6.40 percent
d) 8 percent
Answer: (a) 7.75v percent