1982 batch IAS officer Deepak Singhal was on 6 July 2016 appointed as the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh. Singhal succeeds 1978 batch officer Alok Ranjan, who retired on 30 June 2016 after a three-month extension of service.
He will also hold additional charge of Principal Resident Commissioner of UP in New Delhi, and chairman of the Pradeshiya Industrial & Investment Corporation of UP (PICUP).
About Deepak Singhal
• Before this appointment, he was serving as the Principal Secretary to Department of Irrigation under Shivpal Yadav.
• He was overseeing the Gomti Riverfront project in Lucknow and strengthening and fortifying UP's canal networks, the river rejuvenation programme.
• He had been heading the irrigation department since the beginning of the present SP regime.
• Singhal started his career as assistant magistrate of Mathura in the undivided UP in 1983. Since then he has held key posts in Departments like Electricity and commercial tax.
• He has also served as the commissioner of Meerut, Agra and Bareilly.
• Singhal was on Central deputation between 2006 and 2011.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App