Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on 31 March 2016 launched the Phase I of Green Delhi initiative by planting trees at the Triangular Park at the ITO Chowk.
The launch of the initiative is in tune with the Detailed Action Plan (DAP) that was submitted by the Delhi Government to the Supreme Court in December 2015.
The DAP deals with the steps being taken to improve air quality and reduce air pollution in the National Capital.
Features of Green Delhi initiative
• Vaccum cleaning of all Public Works Department (PWD) roads will be started at regular intervals starting from 1 April 2016.
• To avoid dust rising from unpaved footpaths and central verges, the central verges of the 1260 kilometres of road maintained by the PWD will be bedded with grass and greenery. This initiative will include kutcha portion under flyovers.
• Pollution absorbing shrubs such as Thevetianerefolia (Pila Kaner), Nerium oleander (Lal Kaner), Calliandrabrevipes (Powder puff) and Bougainvilleas and trees such a Ficusinfectoria (Pilkhan), Cassia Siamea will be planted.
• For the Phase I, from April to May 2016, 2 crore rupees were allocated by the Government.
• The Phase II will cover the remaining parts that are not covered by the Phase I and will be executed between July 2016 and September 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 31 March 2016