The Delhi State Olympic Association announced on 26 October 2017 to organise Delhi Olympic Games in the capital city. The sporting events will be held from 9 December 2017- 18 December 2017. The announcement to conduct a sporting event of Olympic level came in order to promote Olympics and also the spirit of sports and sportsmen in Delhi.
The nine-day sporting events will be held in 25 different stadiums in various parts of Delhi including Talkatora Stadium, Indira Gandhi Stadium, National Stadium, Thyagaraj Sports Complex, Siri Fort, among others.
The games will include hockey, boxing, wrestling, weightlifting, swimming, karate, wushu and 28 other disciplines.
Olympic wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt was confirmed as the brand ambassador of Delhi Olympic Games 2017.
Delhi Olympic Association in brief
• The Delhi Olympic Association, fall under the huge umbrella of Indian Olympic Association.
• The aim of the Association is to promote sports in Delhi.
• It is presided by Kuldeep Vats.
• Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
Did you know?
• The first time India participated in Olympics was in 1900 in Paris.
• Norman Pritchard, an Anglo Indian Athlete represented India at that time.
• In 1919, Sir Dorabji Tata laid the foundation for establishing a Sports body at National level for promoting the Olympic Sport in India.