Dilip Vengsarkar received Col CK Nayudu Lifetime achievement award
Dilip Vengsarkar received the prestigious BCCI-instituted Colonel C K Nayudu Lifetime achievement award for his contribution to Indian cricket.
Former Indian cricket captain Dilip Vengsarkar on 21 November 2014 received the prestigious BCCI-instituted Colonel C K Nayudu Lifetime achievement award. He was conferred with the award for his contribution to Indian cricket.
The 58-year-old Vengsarkar who was a member of the Indian team that won the World Cup in 1983 received a citation, trophy and cheque for Rs 25 lakh. He was also a member of the World Championship of Cricket in 1985 and led India in ten Tests in 1987-89.
Apart from this, Indian medium-pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Rohit Sharma were also rewarded for their stupendous performance. Bhuvneshwar Kumar received the Polly Umrigar award and a cheque of Rs 5 lakh for his superb display with the ball and bat. Rohit Sharma received a special award for slamming a world record 264 in the fourth ODI against Sri Lanka in the recent series.
Other prominent awardees at the eighth annual BCCI Awards ceremony were
• Parvez Rasool received the Lala Amarnath Award for the Best All-Rounder in this season’s Ranji Trophy
• R. Vinay Kumar was awarded for his all-round performance in domestic limited-overs competitions
• The Maharashtra Cricket Association and Railway Sports Promotion Board shared the honours for Best Overall Performance in 2013-14
About Dilip Vengsarkar
• He was also known by the nickname Colonel
• He was a key player in the Indian batting line up in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
• He went on to play till 1989
• He represented Bombay in the Ranji Trophy
• For Test matches played in India, he has one of the highest batting averages
• He made his international cricket debut against New Zealand at Auckland in 1975-76, as an opening batsman
Between 2006 and 2008, he was the Chairman of the All-India Senior Selection Committee
He was Chairman of the BCCI's Talent Research Development Committee for three years