Former Indian cricket captain Dilip Vengsarkar on 21 November 2014 received the prestigious BCCI-instituted Colonel C K Nayudu Lifetime achievement award. He was conferred with the award for his contribution to Indian cricket.
The 58-year-old Vengsarkar who was a member of the Indian team that won the World Cup in 1983 received a citation, trophy and cheque for Rs 25 lakh. He was also a member of the World Championship of Cricket in 1985 and led India in ten Tests in 1987-89.
Apart from this, Indian medium-pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Rohit Sharma were also rewarded for their stupendous performance. Bhuvneshwar Kumar received the Polly Umrigar award and a cheque of Rs 5 lakh for his superb display with the ball and bat. Rohit Sharma received a special award for slamming a world record 264 in the fourth ODI against Sri Lanka in the recent series.
Other prominent awardees at the eighth annual BCCI Awards ceremony were
• Parvez Rasool received the Lala Amarnath Award for the Best All-Rounder in this season’s Ranji Trophy
• R. Vinay Kumar was awarded for his all-round performance in domestic limited-overs competitions
• The Maharashtra Cricket Association and Railway Sports Promotion Board shared the honours for Best Overall Performance in 2013-14
About Dilip Vengsarkar
• He was also known by the nickname Colonel
• He was a key player in the Indian batting line up in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
• He went on to play till 1989
• He represented Bombay in the Ranji Trophy
• For Test matches played in India, he has one of the highest batting averages
• He made his international cricket debut against New Zealand at Auckland in 1975-76, as an opening batsman
Between 2006 and 2008, he was the Chairman of the All-India Senior Selection Committee
He was Chairman of the BCCI's Talent Research Development Committee for three years
Who: Dilip Vengsarkar
When: 21 November 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla