Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar was named a ‘Gymnaste de Classe Mondaile’ (World class gymnast) by the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG).
In this regard, she received the official letter confirming the distinction from the federation on 6 July 2016.
With this, she also became the first-ever Indian gymnast to receive the honour.
Who is Dipa Karmakar?
• She is an Indian artistic gymnast from Agartala, Tripura.
• She rose to recognition when she won a bronze medal at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games becoming the first Indian female gymnast to do so in the history of the games.
• She won a bronze at the Asian Gymnastics Championships and finished 5th at the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.
• With this, she became the first Indian finalist at the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.
• In April 2016, Karmakar became the first female Indian gymnast ever to secure an Olympic berth by garnering a total score of 52.698 points.
• She is the first woman in the gymnast history to land the Produnova, one of the most dangerous vaults.
• She won 10 gold medals at two national games. She received the Arjuna Award in August 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.