Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram designated as new Finance Secretary
Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram has been designated as new Finance Secretary by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram has been designated as new Finance Secretary. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved a proposal to designate Arvind Mayaram as the new Finance Secretary on 15 April 2014.
Previous Finance secretary, Sumit Bose retired on 31 March 2014 and the post was vacant since that time.
Finance Secretary is the senior-most IAS officer in the Union Ministry of Finance. He coordinates the working of various departments under the Ministry of Finance. The Finance Ministry currently has five secretaries including Arvind Mayaram. The other secretaries are:
• R P Watal (Expenditure)
• Rajiv Takru (Revenue)
• Ravi Mathur(Disinvestment)
• G S Sandhu (Financial Services)
About Arvind Mayaram
• He is a 1978 batch Indian Administrative Service officer (Rajasthan cadre).
• Since 2012, he has been holding charge as Economic Affairs Secretary. He will retire in October 2015. He will continue to manage the Department of Economic Affairs.
• He holds a Masters degree in political science and doctorate in finance.
Union Ministry of Finance
It consists of five departments namely Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Expenditure, Department of Revenue, Department of Financial Services, and Department of Disinvestments.