The Election Commission of India (ECI) on 28 June 2017 announced that it will launch a special drive to enrol left out electors, with a special focus on first time electors.
The step is taken in the direction of Commission’s motto that 'No Voter to be Left Behind’.
It is the first time that Facebook's voter registration reminder has been rolled out across India. The drive will be launched on 1 July 2017.
Key highlights of the drive
• In order to reach out to maximum eligible voters, the ECI is collaborating with Facebook to launch first nationwide Voter Registration Reminder.
• With over 180 million people in India on Facebook, the Register Now button is designed to encourage Indian citizens to register themselves with the Election Commission of India.
• On 1 July 2017, a notification of the Voter Registration Reminder will be sent to people on Facebook in India who are eligible to vote.
• The reminder will be sent out in 13 Indian languages: English, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Punjabi, Bengali, Urdu, Assamese, Marathi and Oriya.
• By clicking on the “Register Now" button on Facebook, people will be directed to the National Voters’ Services Portal (www.nvsp.in), which will guide them through the registration process.
Who: Election Commission